Re: LPC213x IDE

John Devereux wrote:

.... snip ...

"These results show clearly that the GNU C Compiler is a good
choice in comparison with the other compilers tested here in
terms of both code size and speed optimizations. However, when
code size is an issue in your embedded application, users need
to be aware of the impact GNU libraries such as printf can have
on code size. The Code Size tests run in this benchmark
demonstrate the extent to which the GNU Compiler can be
handicapped by a very complete printf library that serves little
purpose in embedded applications. Excluding printf, IAR, GNU and
ARM Compilers produced similar, consistent results in terms of

I am in the process of revising my txtio package for some general improvements. At present it contains only numeric input, but I also have various output routines which I hope to add real soon now. The common theme is that they do not require buffers, and work with C streams. The input routines are well behaved, so that the programmer can know what terminated a field, and whether a line has been absorbed. They also report overflows.

Using these you can avoid such monstrous interpreters being loaded.

You can snoop about on my site, URL in the organization header.

  • Re: Purchase microcontroller dev. kit
    ... Even on compilers which don't support it directly, the way to deal with code like that is clearly explained in user manuals and FAQs. ... no one doing embedded development on a small microcontroller would write code like that anyway - using printf is a sure sign you don't know what you are doing. ... Having a command line interface is also ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Why do i get runtime error ?
    ... I get runtime error for the above code. ... it's because you're not honest with printf(). ... some compilers warn you for e.g. ... But it can only do that if it gets a format string that is known ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Purchase microcontroller dev. kit
    ... Some very smart and expensive compilers may be able to solve ... no one doing embedded development on a small microcontroller ... All of my projects use printf (which usually comes in several ... Having a command line interface is also ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: About Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
    ... Here are the executable image sizes, in bytes (implementations with ... program* for other compilers. ... right, together with gcc's printf. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: About Sun C++, gcc and toolchains
    ... I'm new in the Solaris world and I want to develop some applications ... SunStudio compilers instead of g++... ... IIRC Spec benchmarks are run with Sun Studio compilers. ... they over a lot of features that the GNU ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)