Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR

This simply is not true. The most significant commercial driver in
electronics today is unit cost and that is directly related to Bill of
Materials and hence microcontroller cost.

Disagree, the most significant driver is Time To Market.
If cost was the main driver, then people would take time to do optimized
custom chips.
Many don't, even if they have volume motivating the development of chips.
They select from available circuits on cost, but then cost is second in
priority, not first.

There is an infrequently mentioned case -- that of the toolset's
availability for long product lifetimes where the continuity of a wide
variety of factors (programmers, company ownership, and the very
existence of the tool vendor, for example) is all in question. If I
select a C compiler vendor who uses a form of copy protection tied to
the disk drive or cpu, for example, and issues a license for a
particular machine -- what then happens when a client calls me up 5
years later and wants a new modification made?

If you have can save $0.5M earlier, then you surely put some money in the
bank for a support contract...
You have less chance of saving money if you are limited to the architecture
supported by your assembler.
assembler= less competition.
Changing to a new C compiler can be very quick and low cost (gcc ?)

I do understand that people refusing to use high level languages
might be less than fascinated by RISC processors...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

  • Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR
    ... Materials and hence microcontroller cost. ... the most significant driver is Time To Market. ... existence of the tool vendor, for example) is all in question. ... supported by your assembler. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR
    ... to get lower cost products. ... product for market. ... Someone said that cost was the "most significant driver", ... or have I misunderstood the capabilities of die-hard assembler programmers ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR
    ... to get lower cost products. ... product for market. ... Someone said that cost was the "most significant driver", ... or have I misunderstood the capabilities of die-hard assembler programmers ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR
    ... to get lower cost products. ... of constraints operating on any product and time to market is just one ... product for market. ... Someone said that cost was the "most significant driver", ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: taking our health care back......
    ... customer's unnecessary labor costs, costs for support, lack of ... windows, windows, windows and if you don't want windows, you still pay ... It cost me many hours because MS was not owning up to the ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)