Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR

"Dave Hansen" <iddw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cbg6v118il95mgmlii2nak10cbf4ktq23n@xxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:01:38 +0100 in comp.arch.embedded, "Meindert
Sprang" <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
[...]

Remember, the AVR has 8 MByte address space.

Which one is that?

All the ones with a 22-bit PC. Note 1) Having 8 MB address space is
different from having 8 MB memory. Note 2) This is 8 MB PROGRAM
memory space. AVR is a Harvard architecture. Note 3) Yes, 2**22 is
only 4 M, but AVR instructions are addressed on 16-bit words.

I know all this. But if you have 500k of code, you not only need the address
space but also the memory space. And when I look at atmel.com, I don't see
any AVR 's listed with that amount of memory. Hence my question.

Meindert

  • Re: AVR or 8051
    ... What you loose by having to load memory, you gain by not having to write it ... Plenty use the AVR for cellular phones. ... >> Very few chips on the market have as fast interrupts as the AVR. ... Availability of third party IP allowing anyone to build a C51 controller ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: 8051 compilers
    ... The 8051 had many different memory segments. ... The AVR is a flat memory architecture. ... When you write in a HLL the core becomes "don't care", ... if anything, the 8051 trumps the AVR if you need raw MHZ, or need high performance Analog, or Multisource. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: iexplorer.exe - Application Error
    ... 15 avr. ... The memory could not be "read". ... Click OK to terminate the ... I keep getting this error message ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 8051 compilers
    ... The 8051 had many different memory segments. ... The AVR is a flat memory architecture. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Swap space
    ... > twice the amount of RAM if you need to capture a dump for debugging. ... > If you won't ever be doing that, you may not need so much swap. ... least the size of physical memory. ...
    (freebsd-questions)