Re: Moving from 8051 to AVR

"Dave Hansen" <iddw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:cbg6v118il95mgmlii2nak10cbf4ktq23n@xxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:01:38 +0100 in comp.arch.embedded, "Meindert
Sprang" <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
[...]

Remember, the AVR has 8 MByte address space.

Which one is that?

All the ones with a 22-bit PC. Note 1) Having 8 MB address space is
different from having 8 MB memory. Note 2) This is 8 MB PROGRAM
memory space. AVR is a Harvard architecture. Note 3) Yes, 2**22 is
only 4 M, but AVR instructions are addressed on 16-bit words.

I know all this. But if you have 500k of code, you not only need the address
space but also the memory space. And when I look at atmel.com, I don't see
any AVR 's listed with that amount of memory. Hence my question.

Meindert

.