Re: ARM Cortex M3 - Who's utilizing it?

"Ulf Samuelsson" <ulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:dt5q6v$g3$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
D. wrote:
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
And exactly WHY do you want to use a chip which is hardly or not
sold by anyone?

Not YET sold by anyone. It's the next generation ARM wave, and it will
take a little while to see devices built around it. Same thing for the
other variants (the A8 and future R derivatives).

Assuming it becomes an industry standard...
Anyone remembering the Itanium?

ARM already is the industry standard.

While the Cortex is probably an improvement over ARM,
it may not be improvement enough
to motivate people to pay millions of dollars.
Think most semiconductor companies will adopt a wait and see.
If needed, it can be licensed and introduced quickly.
If not needed, noone will bother...

But if you wait too long, the market may be saturated...

One of the arguments for an ARM, is the second source.
The first company to release a Cortex will not have a second source...

Any of the existing ARMs are of course second sources for any new
ARMs (including Cortex) - that's the advantage of binary compatibility.

It will compete with the coldfires, SH series etc.

Don't forget V850. The M3 outperformance those on all counts.

Ulf, we're waiting for the ARM Cortex vs AVR32 battle. :)

A new proprietary architecture... Anyone remembering the Itanium? :-)

Doesn't look like there are Semiconductor companies in the official Cortex
M3 list of licensees...

Does STMicroelectronics qualify as a semiconductor?

T.I has licensed the Cortex-A8, but I think this is for Nokia and alike...
The AVR32 seems to run at higher frequency and has an MMU
so they may be focusing on different markets.

Yes, the AVR32 is definitely not in the same market as the M3. It is an
ARM11 + Jazelle + Thumb-2 clone, but because it is late (MIPS did it
a few years ago), it now will have to compete with Cortex-A8. Ouch...

Wilco

  • Re: 16/32 bit processor for OS development
    ... For every PIC, 8051, or ARM uC sold I estimate at least a thousand ... Elan/EMC, WinBond, or SunPlus uCs sold. ... billion calculators ... I wonder what uC is in the SIM cards of those cell phones? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: ARM Cortex M3 - Whos utilizing it?
    ... Not YET sold by anyone. ... While the Cortex is probably an improvement over ARM, ... The first company to release a Cortex will not have a second source... ... Doesn't look like there are Semiconductor companies in the official Cortex ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Microsoft-Intel-HP
    ... DEC licensed ARM and worked with the ARM folks, built and sold StrongARM, and eventually sold the StrongARM business to Intel, and Intel then revised the product and later sold the business to Marvell. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Hydro or Wind Power
    ... >> Gil the ARM? ... >The Warriors - short story. ... Not only the first known space tale but the ... >first fiction Niven ever sold. ...
    (uk.business.agriculture)
  • Re: Way OT: Luke Skywalker... werent these $1.99 at K-Mart?
    ... Luke's arm with the light saber (still worked, but not as well as it ... I just sold about 30 loose figures in fair shape with ... Kenner still owes me an emperor from a cereal deal gone wrong lol. ...
    (rec.games.pinball)