Re: Simple Motor Control

CBFalconer wrote:
Bryan Hackney wrote:

CBFalconer wrote:

benn686@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have a motor that Im controlling using a micro with PWM. The
pulse width Im outputting is fixed and thats good enough to make
it move at a nice slow rate.

However, it would be nice to sense the speed. Is there a simple
way of doing that? Id rather not retrofit or mess too much with
the mechanical assembly but could a current sensing cicuit (or
IC) work for this ( to see if its moving faster/slower)? If not,
what would be another quick and dirty way of sensing speed to
adjust the pwm?

During the off period of the pulse, measure the back EMF generated
by the motor. You may have to filter out armature noise. That
voltage is proportional to the motor speed. It is acting as a
generator during the off period.

Assume this is a brush motor (seems likely). That armature "noise"
is from brushes making and breaking. I would rather use that as a
speedometer than back EMF.

That's a definite thought. However I have built analog systems
based on using full wave rectified and unfiltered AC through SCRs
to run model trains, and have achieved extremely slow speeds with
back EMF. I did that about 25 years ago, so the details have
slipped my mind, but it was cheap. A scope solidly synced to the
line was handy.

I don't know, but I have a guess that if the load varies significantly,
low speed control with back EMF may be lacking.

Finding more may be difficult, because fancy controls are generally
not used for brush motors. I have seen brush motors used as servo
motors, but the position (velocity) feedback was an encoder. Older
analog control schemes put a small generator inline with the motor, to
get a voltage proportional to speed that did not vary with the motor
load. The motor is a reactive device moving or not.

It would be nice to learn a little more from the OP. Is this a brush
motor? What is driven?

  • Re: Powering DC geared mmotor from cordless drill.
    ... The drill motor can run at full speed ... is slow speed, you could then just punch in the two speeds, have the ... setting and forgetting your PWM ... advantage is that you have precise control of speed, ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: Variable torque motor for belt grinder ?
    ... Describing a single speed motor as such makes no ... Driven by a VFD, the motor should produce essentially constant torque from ... speeds below 50% are available for detail ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Homemade CNC 2 spindle lathe question
    ... Note that a servo motor *can* run at a very stable speed, ... controlled by a true servo amplifier and with tach generator feedback. ... the headstock spindle generating the command voltage to the true servo ... so it has a very wide range of precise speeds. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: CNC software highest step rate
    ... The problem with simply disabling the amp when approaching a limit is ... that the motor will then coast. ... > amp and get a steady speed from the servo motor is why resonance is not ... > a problem at high speeds with servo motors used as intended. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Simple Motor Control
    ... speedometer than back EMF. ... and have achieved extremely slow speeds with ... If you measure the back EMF when the driver is high impedance and any electrical transients have settled you'll be using the motor as a generator and getting a pretty good indication of motor speed. ... Wescott Design Services ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)