Re: C / C++ skills

"mc" <look@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6q8Eg.20173$bo6.13016@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C is better than assembly language, but not a lot better. Most of the
unreliability of software as we know it is due to C, with its lack of
bounds-checking, uninitialized pointers, etc.

I disagree. Most of the unreliability of software is down to poor design and
poor coding. Don't blame the tool; blame the workman.

I'm not a fan of languages that provide me with a nappy whether I want one
or not. My ideal language is neutral and expressive; C suits me fine. And
even the most nappy-laden language would still produce buggy code when
driven by a sloppy coder.

(That's not to say that the principles of defensive programming could not be
better implemented in a future language. But, fundamentally, defensive
programming is a Good Thing in any language.)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com