Re: What micros do you actually hate to work with?

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 00:13:57 GMT, I wrote:

On 14 Oct 2006 17:07:17 -0700, "Isaac Bosompem" <x86asm@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Here is what I get from Visual Studio .NET 2003 (x86), speed
optimization is on:

I do it with 21 (0x15) bytes on the x86. Just to provide a number,
for now.

Jon

In case it isn't clear to others, though, both Isaac's VS.NET example
and the one I am imagining assume parameters passed on the x86 stack.
This isn't always a necessary approach, as compilers may certainly
define the case where a certain small number of parameters can be
passed in registers and only spilled to memory if addresses need to be
taken. However, I am comparing apples to apples with the 21 byte
figure here. Both Isaac's and my example assume parameters passed on
the stack. My code would be shorter still, otherwise.

Jon

  • Re: Does 32 bits value assignment needs locking operation
    ... there is demonstrated need for the optimization and the optimization ... breaks when snazzy new CPU Y comes out. ... is working on x86 32-bit platform as s simple sign. ...
    (comp.programming.threads)
  • Re: optimizers are overrated
    ... cause it to iterate in either order; as long as the loop executes the ... not done) or intimate knowledge of how the x86 CPU behaves (which I ... whether the optimization would be worthwhile. ... already meets the performance specifications. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: optimizers are overrated
    ... cause it to iterate in either order; as long as the loop executes the ... not done) or intimate knowledge of how the x86 CPU behaves (which I ... whether the optimization would be worthwhile. ... already meets the performance specifications. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: optimizers are overrated
    ... copx is assuming that a test against 0 is going to ... Without either measurement (which copx has ... not done) or intimate knowledge of how the x86 CPU behaves (which I ... whether the optimization would be worthwhile. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Compiling procedure/closure application natively
    ... You can reconsider that optimization later. ... assembly output on x86 and it appeared to me to do a similar dispatch, ... i.e. distinguish between closure and procedure at every call-site. ...
    (comp.lang.scheme)