Re: OT: Why so many headhunters right now?

Hi Chuck,

My ISP has implemented a useful spam filter, as shown by the
various X- header lines evaluating each e-mail.

I am POP3-ing all my mail with my DPS based system (I am able to
live without a wintel system here, although there is one since almost
2 years), so I could filter it or anything, but for the time being the
path
of least resistance to me is just to ignore all that spam. I have
become
so good at spotting non-spam messages among the massive bulk
of spam that I have never missed one; and if I do, I'll have it logged
(among all that spam, yes...). It costs me no more than 10 minutes
a day in total (I look at my main mailboxes about once an hour).

BTW, please do NOT strip attribution lines for material you quote.
Those are the initial lines of the form "Joe wrote:".

I practically never do. It is just that I quote the message I reply to
in its entity at the bottom (todays bandwidths allow that without
torturing anyone with a 2400 bpS modem), and the excerpts I
particularly want to quote are interleaved with the text I write.
This is a combination of top- and bottom posting which preserves
the advantages of either - at least I have chosen to post this way,
whenever I find it applicable (as in this case).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com

CBFalconer wrote:
Didi wrote:

I have told individual recruiters in the past to f--k off and
never sully my mailbox or telephone with their presence again.
All that happens is some other name at the same company spams
you with the same rubbish jobs!

The only impact I would expect a reply to spam to have is to show
the spammer there is life at this address so s/he will keep on
flooding it. Ignoring them seems the best policy to me (not that
it helps a lot, my mail gets logged and the few kilobytes of
useful mail per month get drowned in the 30M+/month of spam I
get... but this is what I think of this anyway :-)

My ISP has implemented a useful spam filter, as shown by the
various X- header lines evaluating each e-mail. I religiously
forward any leaks to them, so the spam seems under control here.
Usenet spam requires local filters, and seems to come in spurts.
Today I had something like 100 to 200 news articles rejected and
not downloaded. I suspect there was another MI5 attack today, but
luckily I don't know.

--
Sending unsolicited commercial e-mail to
cbfalconer at maineline dot net

  • Re: Firewall suggestion?
    ... > I have a customer that is using Exchange 5.5 behind a simple firewall. ... > server by trying to use it as a Spam relay. ... The target hosts must be ... If this header is set, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • bogofilte-0.15.4
    ... Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies mail as spam or ham ... Bogofilter is run by an MDA script to classify an incoming message as ... * Additional header line tagging as suggested by Michael O'Reilly. ... Added BOGOTEST environment variable to enable flex debugging. ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)
  • bogofilter 0.15.10 available
    ... Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies mail as spam or ham ... Bogofilter is run by an MDA script to classify an incoming message as ... your token database to take advantage of header line tagging which was ... Revise flex rule for encoded text to reduce program size. ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)
  • FAQ: Canonical list of questions Beavis refuses to answer (V1.40) (was Re: Fixing mangled mbox From
    ... misdated 'From ' header fields. ... His response, if any, usually consists of replying to the parent post with a loud proclamation that his Usenet-reading software runs a magical filter that automatically identifies anyone who's making fun of him, and hides those offensive posts. ... If spammers avoid forging real E-mail addresses on spam, then where do all these bounces everyone reports getting come from? ...
    (comp.mail.misc)
  • bogofilter-0.15.5 - New Current Release
    ... Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies mail as spam or ham ... Bogofilter is run by an MDA script to classify an incoming message as ... The newly expanded tagging of header line tokens continues the effort to ...
    (comp.os.linux.announce)