Re: serial port to PCMCIA converter

safetran wrote:

Anyone have any experience with PCMCIA-to-serial port adapters?

Look at "http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemSpecs.aspx?productid=CB2S650&c=US";

I have this one.

It supports Linux, though since it's a 32 bit CardBus card, DOS probably doesn't work with it. You really want to find a super-old 16 bit PCMCIA card.

The Sealevel PCMCIA cards support DOS, according to the Sealevel site, "http://www.sealevel.com/seacom6112/seacom6112.asp";

It's unlikely that you'd ever get a USB to Serial port adapter to work with DOS.

Personally, now I'm careful to only buy laptops with a serial port. They are still available.

I suspect that most 16 bit cards would work with DOS applications.

  • OT Humor - "You might be an mainframer if... :-) V3.8"
    ... > When someone mentions green card, ... > You know that SPOOL is an acronym ... For DOS, no, not that DOS, the other ... > You can create a tape backup of something and know you can read it back on ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Ping Henry (was Re: Useful information about signs and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency and c
    ... :> I still use a DOS program for newsgroups, ... I did that on an IBM Magcard Typewriter. ... The card was about the same size. ... In a write operation the contents of the memory in the ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Nvidia XFX 6600GT video card Linux howto - opengl crash fix
    ... I had difficulty getting my XFX 6600GT video card working under linux. ... The resetting of the bios requires the utility nvflash.exe and a dos win95 ... (nvflash wont work without 3 files from this also on the win98 boot disk) ... program made for use in a DOS Protected Mode Interface. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: The Microsoft Way (OT)
    ... M$ was caught with a "smoking gun" in regards to DR DOS (hidden code that was ... And maybe all that waiting and all thoose bugs is ... This card stated, "Who is the most important person at ... registering, like tech support. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: mscdex
    ... Since this is a DOS newsgroup, I'm going to assume that you're ... load the driver provided by the ... > Is there a sound module too that has to be loaded before your ... You simply load the sound card driver, ...
    (comp.os.msdos.programmer)