Regarding Dual core processors

Dear Gurus,
I am curious to know the advantages of using Dual core processors
from the end user perspective.In the recent times I am hearing more
about this from Intel about their latest processor in line
products.Recently I purchased an IBM laptop which boasts about having
Intel Dual core processor.
How is it advantageous compared to normal single core processor?
When you say Dual core does that mean,it contains 2 processors(pardon
my ignorance!)?
Is dual core common in embedded world?
What support should we expect from an OS while working on Dual core
processor?(Mainly trying to understand OS level modifications needed
incase one has to move from single core to a dual core processor)

Regards,
s.subbarayan

  • Re: INstalling dual-core in Dell 8300
    ... sysemt board in my Dell 8300 for a dual core processor and new System ... I thought about purchasing a brand new system, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: FC6: livna nvidia rpms and intel dual core processor
    ... Does it adapt to or deal with the dual core processor. ... it's a mythtv box so i needed atrpms anyway. ... I installed x86 because of the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: XP64 or XP Pro?
    ... | Brian A. wrote: ... a dual core processor does not mean 64bit ... there are many 32bit dual core processors out. ... | I believe the Pentium D is 64 bit. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Apple dries up in the Sun
    ... any particular model would certainly have a dual core processor; ... My dual core HP computer only cost $850. ... information that explicitly included single core machines. ... That wasn't explicit. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)