Re: What is the simplest CPU GCC is ported for?

Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@xxxxxxx> wrote in news:et3bcd$ie0
$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Steve Calfee <stevecalfee@xxxxxxxxxxx> posted:

"[..]

GCC in its bones believes in 8 bit bytes, words being some multiple of
bytes etc. There are lots of built in assumptions based on the cpu
architectures in existance now. I think it would be hard to port to a
bit addressable cpu.

[..]"

Maybe. In a later post in this thread you said you wanted 32 bit
support so I do not know whether you want to support "a bit
addressable" CPU as well, or whether that was merely an auxiliary
comment.

The 1750a configuration which used to be in GCC but had been removed
many version numbers ago from the versions maintained by the Free
Software Foundation (as someone supporting a GCC configuration for the
MIL-STD-1750A processor was being paid by providing support directly
to customers instead of telling them to download GCC for gratis from
the FSF) contained "#define BITS_PER_UNIT 16". "#define
BITS_PER_UNIT 32" is in gcc-4.1.1/gcc/config/c4x/c4x.h

From
info gccint
:"[..]

Here is a table of machine modes. The term "byte" below refers to an
object of `BITS_PER_UNIT' bits (*note Storage Layout::).

[..]

The global variables `byte_mode' and `word_mode' contain modes whose
classes are `MODE_INT' and whose bitsizes are either `BITS_PER_UNIT'
or
`BITS_PER_WORD', respectively. [..]

-- Macro: BITS_PER_UNIT
Define this macro to be the number of bits in an addressable
storage unit (byte). If you do not define this macro the default
is 8.

-- Macro: BITS_PER_WORD
Number of bits in a word. If you do not define this macro, the
default is `BITS_PER_UNIT * UNITS_PER_WORD'.

[..]"

Thanks for the info. I have no desire to become a GCC expert. I know one
guy that did 2 ports of GCC to custom architectures. His opinions were
strong about the issues of GCC and where it is flexible and where it is
broken. I was parroting his comments about a byte. Do you know of an
arch for GCC that does bytes defined as something but 8? Anyway it
doesn't matter, I don't want to deal with GCC. I just want to find a
simple arch which a current GCC supports so I can skip that particular
pain.

Regards, Steve

  • Re: sudo and UNIXes (was: audacity export wma format[1 more question])
    ... You mean the first thing you compile on a new system isn't gcc? ... On Solaris I use vendor packages with gcc, ... are companies that have full paid support for RHEL. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What is the simplest CPU GCC is ported for?
    ... There are lots of built in assumptions based on the cpu ... support so I do not know whether you want to support "a bit ... The 1750a configuration which used to be in GCC but had been removed ... Define this macro to be the number of bits in an addressable ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: math.nroot [was Re: A brief question.]
    ... > so before VC 7.1 was released (C99 ain't exactly new anymore). ... > support _some_ way to get at this stuff. ... This includes gcc before C99 ... > and fenv.h -- if the platforms represented in fpectlmodule.c were ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Microcross X-Tools license help?
    ... It looks like they took the gnu arm tool chain and reworked it to ... The compiler build needs some support libraries, ... Google for GCC Cross Compiler. ... You could also look at CodeSourcery. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Idea: Multitasking graphical OS for the GS
    ... IIgs 65816 compiler that has nearly the number of ... gcc also has a much larger support infrastructure where it will be easier to ... The software developer and the hardware ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)