Re: What is the simplest CPU GCC is ported for?

[..]"

Thanks for the info. I have no desire to become a GCC expert. I know one
guy that did 2 ports of GCC to custom architectures. His opinions were
strong about the issues of GCC and where it is flexible and where it is
broken. I was parroting his comments about a byte. Do you know of an
arch for GCC that does bytes defined as something but 8? Anyway it
doesn't matter, I don't want to deal with GCC. I just want to find a
simple arch which a current GCC supports so I can skip that particular
pain.

Regards, Steve

You said in an earlier posting that you need 32 bit addressing.
The AVR supports 23 bit addressing (for code) and 24 bit for data.

Personally, I think you should rephrase the question to:

If I want to write a simulator of a microcontroller in assembler,
what is the simplest instruction set to use.

Conditions:
Needs to have a supported gcc compiler.
Needs to support X MB code
Needs to support Y MB data.

-
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson

  • Re: sudo and UNIXes (was: audacity export wma format[1 more question])
    ... You mean the first thing you compile on a new system isn't gcc? ... On Solaris I use vendor packages with gcc, ... are companies that have full paid support for RHEL. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: math.nroot [was Re: A brief question.]
    ... > so before VC 7.1 was released (C99 ain't exactly new anymore). ... > support _some_ way to get at this stuff. ... This includes gcc before C99 ... > and fenv.h -- if the platforms represented in fpectlmodule.c were ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Microcross X-Tools license help?
    ... It looks like they took the gnu arm tool chain and reworked it to ... The compiler build needs some support libraries, ... Google for GCC Cross Compiler. ... You could also look at CodeSourcery. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Microcross X-Tools license help?
    ... It looks like they took the gnu arm tool chain and reworked it to ... The compiler build needs some support libraries, ... Google for GCC Cross Compiler. ... You pay a small price to get the toolchain integrated with debugger and extra libraries. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Idea: Multitasking graphical OS for the GS
    ... IIgs 65816 compiler that has nearly the number of ... gcc also has a much larger support infrastructure where it will be easier to ... The software developer and the hardware ...
    (comp.sys.apple2)