Re: Regarding Dual core processors

In article <1173674896.523957.293110@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ssubbarayan <ssubba@xxxxxxxxx> writes
Dear Gurus,
I am curious to know the advantages of using Dual core processors
from the end user perspective.In the recent times I am hearing more
about this from Intel about their latest processor in line
products.Recently I purchased an IBM laptop which boasts about having
Intel Dual core processor.
How is it advantageous compared to normal single core processor?
When you say Dual core does that mean,it contains 2 processors(pardon
my ignorance!)?

Well in most multi tasking systems there is only 1 MCU. And you time slice. So many miliseconds per task to give the illusion of lots os things happening at once.

The idea with the PC dual, quad core etc is that you really can have several tasks in parallel. It can give a speed increase.

Is dual core common in embedded world?

In some niche areas. Multiple cores have been in use for over a decade. It depends how you define multiple core. Some DECT systems have dissimilar cores in them others like some of the PPc range have core similar cores.

Some embedded systems have multiple MCU's but that is not multi core

What support should we expect from an OS while working on Dual core
processor?(Mainly trying to understand OS level modifications needed
incase one has to move from single core to a dual core processor)

Good question.... Until it moves more main stream I am not sure. Many (most? ) embedded systems don't use an OS or need an RTOS

the are more problems than re-entrancy here and the problems will be different to distributed or multi processor programming.

I think a lot of it is going to be hidden deep inside the OS and libraries.

/\/\/ chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

  • Re: Intel v G5 iMac
    ... >> It's a dual core processor with a vastly superior graphics processor. ... >> Apps that are SMP aware should get a huge boost (except iTunes by the ... will be much faster on the Intel Mac than on the iMac G5. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Intel processor specs question
    ... The stuff I found from my search, obviously I need more practice at searching techniques, was far too complicated. ... Core 2 Duo is a generation later than Core Duo. ... In fact, however, a Core 2 Duo T5500 is a 1.66GHz CPU, while the Core Duo T2350 is 1.86GHz. ... Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5500 2MB Cache Dual Core Processor ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: dual core only running in single core mode
    ... I have a dell computer that is a dual core processor but only one ... With Task Manager open to display the Performance page, ...
  • Re: Intel processor specs question
    ... You can bump the memory on the 2nd laptop up to 2GB for probably about $50. ... Core 2 Duo is a generation later than Core Duo. ... In fact, however, a Core 2 Duo T5500 is a 1.66GHz CPU, while the Core Duo T2350 is 1.86GHz. ... Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5500 2MB Cache Dual Core Processor ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: Wordset queries
    ... For embedded systems, it's almost universal ... It's particularly valuable in that case, because it's almost always necessary to pick and choose the content of a target kernel. ... And if you use the "provide a feature as source code" loophole on such ... there's no correspondence between what's in the CORE wordset and what has to be in a pre-compiled kernel. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)