Re: Atmel releasing FLASH AVR32 ?

"Jim Granville" <no.spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4601b38b$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wilco Dijkstra wrote:

It is impossible to run code at a predictable speed, so you're
screwed no matter whether you use a cache or not.

?! - what ?
Or are you talking only within the ARM subset of the CPU universe here ?

I guess you haven't heard about interrupts, wait states, cycle
stealing DMA and other niceties then. Some of use live in the
real world...

Wilco

  • Re: is there a better XP Defrag..?
    ... but restricted to files that fit into the cache. ... And file access time can take up a significant ... system's disk access cache, but it doesn't really matter. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [patch] x86, mm: pass in total to __copy_from_user_*nocache()
    ... Sure, it's "wrong", but does it actually matter? ... software almost never knows enough about the CPU cache to ... We use cached memory copies for everything ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Question on IDS 10 page size
    ... We have an OLTP database that we are moving to linux. ... I would prefer more opinions on this matter than just mine. ... Also this tends to isolate index pages from data pages preventing either from thrashing the other in to/out of cache. ... If yes, say because a large report pulls in a whole day/week/month's worth of data or warehouse apps access multiple day's data, then yes, larger pagesizes will likely improve performance for the same reasons that index performance is enhanced. ...
    (comp.databases.informix)
  • Re: gfortran, g95, and dual-core
    ... either speed of compilation or speed of execution? ... Many, many things matter. ... That's why cache is ... Is this apt to make a big difference (factor of 2 in execution speed) when comparing different Intel-compatible chips in a given price range? ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)
  • Re: Does Persistent Memory Wear Out?
    ... Opinions differ on this matter; there have also been some debates in this ... Surfing the web continuously writes the cache. ... That's a LOT of writing persistent memory, ... Should I worry about the persistent memory wearing out? ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)