Re: Useless whinging about rude/clueless requests for help...

On 2007-03-29, Tim Wescott <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I get those -- and some that are stated much better.

I think the worst ones are the same people who post the same
stuff to newsgroups, and who perhaps don't have a clue about
the difference between email and a newsgroup posting.

The best of them make me think, and I answer them.

I do also get detailed questions about topics where I have
particular knowledge. If it's something which is not likely to
be of interest to anybody else, I usually answer them. For
reasoably researched questions of more general interest I
usually suggest that they post to the appropriate usenet group
or mailing list (which is obviously where they found my name).

Of course private consultation is always available for a fee. ;)

Often I'll suggest that the correspondent post the question on
a newsgroup so that _you_ can fill in any gaps where _I_ left
stuff out...

That's one of the reasons I prefer to answer questions in a
public forum -- if I'm wrong, someobody is there to correct me.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I need to discuss
at BUY-BACK PROVISIONS

  • Re: ZeroSpyware Enterprise Evaluation
    ... Here's the first free clue: ... 3098 How to Advertise Responsibly Using E-Mail and Newsgroups or - how ... you correctly identified your posting as spam. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: OT--- Data recovery?
    ... I really have no clue why you ... that doesn't make it OK to post an off-topic question. ... thousands of different newsgroups for a reason. ... goes to show that you knew better but didnt' care. ...
  • [off-topic guidance] Re: Problem with calling Kernel32 function "Sleep()"
    ... only the standard C programming language, ... netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. ... you should read the group's charter and FAQ, ... "The lusers I know are so clueless, that if they were dipped in clue ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: E Major and E minor Pentatonic scales--connectedboxesillustrated
    ... Newsgroups: alt.guitar.beginner ... no-one who has a clue of even the history of just _very_ ... Give me "Flash", big beautiful obnoxious Flash, ... Panties in a bind for nothing, ...
    (alt.guitar.beginner)
  • Re: THe OverRelational Manifesto (ORM)
    ... Certainly I have no clue who he is or what he does. ... I don't pretend ... I only observe what he writes. ... a variety of newsgroups.) ...
    (comp.databases.theory)