Re: Semi-OT: Killing RFID credit card?

On 23 Apr 2007 05:08:36 -0700, zwsdotcom@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

My bank was recently acquired by Chase, and all our debit cards were
replaced with dual-tech magstripe/RFID ("blink") cards. I don't want,
and absolutely refuse to use or even carry, a contactless payment
token linked to my checking accounts - but I need to have a working
debit card.

While I do have the equipment to copy the magstripe onto a blank card,
I suspect that using such a card at a manned POS terminal could be
problematic :)

Is there a simple method to kill the RFID side of the card without
harming the magstripe? I've tried flexing it to break the bond wires,
but this hasn't worked (I have 13MHz readers, so I can see the card
powering up).

A second or 2 in a Microwave oven.
May produce visible burn marks though.

Centre-punch at the chip location

  • Magstripe Reading / Writing
    ... studying now is security involing magstripe systems. ... we have been asked to analyze the security of the card ... vending machines are not connected to a network so each machines ... We have purchased a magstrip reader and writer. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes (...no, not back)
    ... supposedly the chipcard was hard to counterfeit *AND* had two-factor ... the problem with skimming (whether for the "yes card" or magstripe) ... ... counterfeit magstripe) in a counterfeit "yes card" chip. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Times: Fraud victims left in the lurch by banks
    ... A modern plastic card carries two systems, magstripe and C&P, with some interrelation. ... What you are saying is that because a card that carries both technologies is generally referred to as a C&P card, and because the old type only carries one, then any card of the new type but which oinl;y has the magstrip copied is to be described as 'cloned'. ... Secondly, despite the upgrade of all bank ATMs to C&P you still, for some unexplained reason, still regard this copying of magstripe cards as some huge threat. ...
    (uk.finance)
  • Re: Times: Fraud victims left in the lurch by banks
    ... shows all you need to do is clone the magstripe which is on the C&P card and take it to the correct ATM. ... C&P technology cant be cloned but thats irrelevant since we dont have C&P technology cards, we have C&P cards which conveniently have a magstripe on them. ... of PINs is irrelevant, because with C&P it doesnt matter how many people know you pin, its whether they have your card that matters. ...
    (uk.finance)
  • Re: Is NewsDemon a Scam?
    ... If I made a purchase and the merchant charged my card twice, ... would notify the CC co of the charge error and would expect to ... The OP mentioned that he used a debit card which leaves him without ... different block accounts. ...
    (news.software.readers)