Atmel mega 16 bootloader q's

Hi all, new here.

i have been looking at getting a bootloader to work. all i want to do at
this stage is write something to flash so i know it's working and even
that isnt working.

i got some help from a good friend, who wrote some code for me for his dev
board but it was a mega 64. now, that shouldn't really matter, as it had
nothing in it that i couldn't use on my 16 other then the register name.

so i changed that and it didnt work. tried a few more different things and
that also didnt work.

Now i'm just wondering, maybe the micro hasnt been told it's supposed to
be acting as a bootloader.... because if it doesnt know, it wont do
anything with the SPM instruction.

How do i make sure that the micro is actually in bootloader mode rather
then application?

it writes to the right part of flash for the bootloader to be in, i set
the bootrst bit in the compiler so that it jumps straight to that address
on reset but cant get the thing to work.

Anyone have any ideas? i'm using CodeVisionAVR btw

  • Re: Field Updates of Windows CE
    ... I'd say, if you have the space on the card, yes, 1) rename old nk.bin ... that Windows Mobile actually does nk.bin replacements via the bootloader, ... many, if not all, of the Windows CE integration companies have bootloaders ... and flash copy, which is a BIG job, to my way of thinking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Field Updates of Windows CE
    ... because you need both the SD card driver and the FATFS support. ... Interesting recommendation on not using eboot, but a different bootloader ... many, if not all, of the Windows CE integration companies have bootloaders ... and flash copy, which is a BIG job, to my way of thinking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Field Updates of Windows CE
    ... I'm facing the same update problem on a WinCE 6.0 based device. ... I've also seen mentioned the Image Update capability that is in Windows ... FATFS into the bootloader. ... and flash copy, which is a BIG job, to my way of thinking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Nand Flash Data Lost
    ... While you mentioned not only registry but also the files are lost after reboot and the bootloader did not repartition your flash, it is believe the OS wipes the Flash. ... Have you tried to build a Image only mount the NAND as an ordinal external storage but not for storing Hive nor mounting as root file-system and to see if files still lost after rebooting? ...
  • Re: Bootloader Placement
    ... which, firstly copies all code and data from flash to RAM and then checks data on an MMC card to see whether an update of the flash is necessary and, if so, copies new program data into the flash. ... At the moment I have two projects - the bootloader as a stand-alone loader and the full application, which has the bootloader code as part of it. ... What I'd like to do is seperate the bootloader code from the application code and have the boot loader pass control to the application once it has done its checks and, if necessary, reprogramming. ... My thoughts were to define the first flash sector as a seperate linker section and locate all the bootloader functions and data in there but as part of the application software. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)