Re: Languages for embedded

CBFalconer wrote:
moschops wrote:
... snip ...
There are some old-school embedded coders at my workplace who
mumble about how C++ is not really a real-time language and that
C is better for such applications. I can certainly understand not
using something with automatic garbage collection (you never know
for sure when everything will pause for the memory to be cleaned
up, as I understand it), but why avoid C++? Is there something
about the classes and templates that makes it unsuitable for
embedded software? What affects the decision to use a given
language for embedded coding? I'd be grateful to hear about
reasons for/against other languages besides C and C++.

First, realize that C++

[snip list of evil vendor-specific languages ...]

cannot do anything that C can't do, although it may
require some more programming, or libraries.

Can't ... resist ... flame ... bait ... :-)

Can C do templates/generics? Well ... I suppose you *could*
re-write the same code with different types every time you
needed to use the same algorithm.

In a similar way, you can also code your own
polymorphisms in C using structures and function pointers.
Certainly, the Linux kernel does.

I'm working on a gadget I call a wheel ;-)

Sorry ... I'm incurable :-)

--
Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

  • Re: Enabled languages
    ... "dfmarks" wrote: ... none of the settings should affect anything ... 2003 Language Settings, ... standard document templates. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: [OT] Re: D gets it right
    ... >Dear me and tsk tsk. ... very heavyweight compared to an anonymous function and its lexical ... considered best practice in higher level language ... * A lot of this logic is done using templates and I question how easy ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Enabled languages
    ... exit regedit, restart Windows, and restart Word (Word should ... none of the settings should affect anything ... 2003 Language Settings, ... standard document templates. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Enabled languages
    ... exit regedit, restart Windows, and restart Word. ... We typically reuse the same basic templates from project to project. ... none of the settings should affect anything else. ... 2003 Language Settings, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Enabled languages
    ... certain document templates...making a minor tweak to a standard custom style ... 2003 Language Settings, ... I've tried checking all of my language settings (everything is English ... standard document templates. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)