Re: Booting Linux from CompactFlash on AT91SAM9260

jimthomasembedded@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Assuming I can come up with the hardware, how hard will it be to
develop the U-Boot and Linux driver support required to boot Linux 2.6
from CompactFlash on the AT91SAM9260?

That depends on your skills with embedded systems
and Linux device drivers. ;-)

Is this driver code already out there somewhere?

Once the hardware is there, it is a matter of configuring
pointing das u-boot to the appropriate memory locations
where the CF IDE registers and buffer space live for
boot purposes. You then config (script) u-boot to copy
the kernel into RAM and have it boot from the IDE
(a.k.a. CompactFlash) drive.

You will also need to do the magic within your Linux
kernel to point the IDE code to the same CF IDE
registers.

This is all pretty easy after its done ;-)

--
Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

  • Re: XP Hangs on Startup
    ... Western Digital 80gb IDE HD ... First tried a drive wipe with a program from the ultimate boot CD, ... I had pulled the SCSI pci card out of an older PC and put it in this ... around the same time that the Linux install was done. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: XP Hangs on Startup
    ... Western Digital 80gb IDE HD ... First tried a drive wipe with a program from the ultimate boot CD, re-installed fresh copy of XP, still hanging on startup. ... Got desparate and started pulling all the peripherals and then the memory sticks, last thing to pull was the SCSI pci card, pulled the card and the problem went away. ... I had pulled the SCSI pci card out of an older PC and put it in this P5P800 box, around the same time that the Linux install was done. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: XP Hangs on Startup
    ... Normal startup and shut down, about 30 seconds on the wait screen. ... This is a dual boot with a Linux boot manager. ... Tried disconnecting the Linux HD and restoring the Windows mbr. ... Seagate 40gb IDE HD ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Yaboot problems on IBM js20 blade
    ... I have an ibm js20 blade where the disk got broken (40 GB IDE disk). ... It seems it boots successfully each time I manually input "linux" at the ... The first "boot: linux" ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)