Re: Opinions about AVR32 for Voice Recorder?

In message <s9SdncyIToT-ROXanZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ty Roberts <tyrob@xxxxxxxx> writes
larwe wrote:
On Dec 28, 4:02 am, Ty Roberts <ty...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

This all seems like a win. Am I missing something? Does anyone have
a criticism of the AVR32, or a recommendation for a good alternative?
Yes; it's a sole-source core with little developer interest compared
to the more mainstream offerings. Anything you can get in an AVR32 you
can also get with a mainstream core like ARM or MIPS, and probably
cheaper.

Could you suggest a good resource that gives an overview of the
ARM core market? I'm having trouble finding a comparable ARM based mcu
with USB, 16 bit ADC/DAC, LCD, etc. I don't doubt it's out there
somewhere, but there are so many vendors and products that it's hard
to find your way.

Try analog devices. They usually do good ADC/DAC
Also ST Micros have a reputation for lots of IO on ARM parts.

That said..... almost any part (including MIPS) is going to be less popular than "ARM" per say. However you want an ARM core with a 16bit ADC/DAC so you will have to pick a single source implementation. That implementation may go away if it does not sell well. For example the Sharp ARM7 cores with the graphics controller. Though in that case NXP took over the parts.

The AVR32 is not likely to go away any time soon as Atmel have pinned a lot on it. Their other AVR's are very popular despite being single source. So I would say there is as much risk going with an Atmel AVR32 and any other chip implementation.

/\/\/ chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

  • Re: Opinions about AVR32 for Voice Recorder?
    ... a criticism of the AVR32, or a recommendation for a good alternative? ... to the more mainstream offerings. ... ARM core market? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Opinions about AVR32 for Voice Recorder?
    ... a criticism of the AVR32, or a recommendation for a good alternative? ... to the more mainstream offerings. ... ARM core market? ... A 16 bit ADC on an MCU is likely not going to be a very good 16 bit ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: CES a dud
    ... processors have displaced the ARM core, ... and although it is perhaps the most powerful ARM ... Likewise, I'm very anxious to go mobile wimax or Tmobile 3G, the choice ... desktop power, I'm anxious to try advanced animation. ...
    (rec.audio.opinion)
  • Re: Cortex-M4 with DSP instructions and Floating point announced by ARM
    ... An Schwob in the USA skrev: ... thought this might be interesting for those that are using ARM in MCU ... Or you can get the AVR32 UC3C ... Best Regards ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: AVR32 destiny or destination (Ulf Samuelsson RSVP)
    ... I'm not asking for a ARM vs AVR32 technical dissection, ... it's nice to know that you had the chip in a working sample - it shows that Atmel had a working prototype device before activating the marketing machine. ... That implies that when they /do/ market and publicise a new device, ... I've always thought the AVR32 would be hard to sell against the various ARM devices, especially as Atmel makes ARMs themselves. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)