Re: looking for hardware source

Ray Haddad wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:23:04 +0100, I said, "Pick a card, any card"
and David Brown <david.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> instead
replied:

Without following the RFC's, there would be no such thing as the Internet, or anything else based on IP networking, since the RFC's form the definitions of all these protocols. Some of them are more user-level, such as the ones mentioned about newsgroup posts, but the fact that you can post and read this group is down to your newsreader and your newsserver obeying the appropriate RFC's.

A REQUEST FOR COMMENT is not a set of guidelines or rules. It is
just what it states. A request for you to comment or offer your
opinion. Do you understand that? Please tell me you do.

Take a look at some of the important RFCs and how detailed they are, and how important that technical detail is, and you will understand that the literal meaning of the traditional label "Request For Comment" no longer applies to them, after they have become adopted. David is right as regards the RFC's for IP etc.

Of course detailed obedience to the RFC on newsgroup posting formats is less critical, since most (?) readers are flexible (?) people. (Personally I find bottom-posting to be more natural than top-posting, both to write and to read.)

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd