Re: Easy Question about USB Hardware Design

Paul wrote:
On Mar 14, 4:48�pm, David Brown
<david.br...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paul wrote:
On Mar 14, 3:00 pm, donald <Don...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
David Brown wrote:
Mike Silva wrote:
On Mar 14, 5:13 am, "MK" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Paul" <Quiller...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
But, if you only use one device at a time, this should be ok, right?
Paul,
I do wish you wouldn't ask questions in "assertion","right?" form -
it comes
across to us Brits as rather agressive - it's a culture thing and I'm
sure
you don't mean it.
I'm OT here, but that's a fascinating fact. �"Assertion","right?" is
certainly a common idiom in America, and I doubt anybody here (USA)
gives it a second thought (as you acknowledge). �Anyway, thanks for
pointing something out that I never would have guessed.
As another Brit, I'd agree with Michael - the "assertion", "right?"
idiom sounds like the poster is confident that he is correct, and is
challenging others to prove him wrong. �I'd take it as an indication
that the questioner has a bad attitude (unless it really is something he
can be confident about) - he's looking for confirmation of his fixed
ideas, not help and advice. �Of course, it depends on the rest of the
context of the post.
The assertion of "right?", is an Americans _lack_ of confidence that is
showing.
It's interesting to hear that, as the idiom sounds (to British ears) the
opposite.

American TV has used this as a question of our lack of confidence that
has made its way into everyday use.
I guess I don't watch that sort of American TV (I watch a few American
series, but not things with chatter - game shows, talk shows, "reality"
shows, etc.)

Go figure.
There's another phrase that is totally alien to non-USAnians (I know
what it means - it just sounds nonsensical).

donald
� � � Thanks for clarifying this to the Brits, Don.
It's been said that the USA and the UK are two cultures separated by a
common language. �It's also been said that one of the differences
between us is that in the UK we speak English, in the USA they don't.

Yeah, most Brits think that even the white
American english is "wrong".

No, we think it is *different*, not wrong. You speak American English, I speak British English, also known simply as "English". If you write "color", then it's correct in American English - it's only wrong if you are trying to write British English and spell it "color".

But funny, white Americans think the black
version of english is "wrong" too!

If they think the black speakers are "wrong", then it's just because many Americans have serious racial problems. Different groups of people speak different dialects - they are only "wrong" if they use a dialect but claim it to be standard language (this is mostly relevant only in written language).

But 1000 years from now, people will
be hard pressed to read this sentence.

Languages do NOT stand still....it's all
constantly changing.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I am also aware that in most cases of spelling differences between American and British English, the American version pre-dates the British version.

� � � Asking "Right?" at the end certainly means you are not
really sure yourself. �And I'm most certainly not.
I'm only commenting on how it appears to a non-American - not on how you
meant it to sound. �And I suppose my reading is coloured by your
previous "I know USB better than the experts" posts.

Dude, why would i ask if i knew better?!

I'm not at all sure why you bothered to ask - you certainly don't seem to listen to or appreciate the technical help you were given.

I simply had issue with the "he's in the weaker
position because he has admited that he doesn't
know something I do, so now i can give him shit"
mentality.

Somebody told you you were doing things all wrong, and gave you advice on better methods - you seem to have taken it all as a gratuitous personal insult. No one else saw the other poster's posts in that way.

But, that's how the world is.

*Your* world, perhaps.

� � � But people usually see bits of themselves when they judge
others on a few words.
� � � Right?
Wrong.

People's impressions, especially of a few words, are subjective - but
that doesn't mean they judge others by their own standards.

Well, you were clearly wrong when you typed this:

"As another Brit, I'd agree with Michael - the
"assertion", "right?"
idiom sounds like the poster is confident that he is correct, and is
challenging others to prove him wrong."

What part of "sounds like" do you have problems understanding?

What you mean by the things you write, and what I think you mean as I read them, can be different things. It might be that you expressed yourself badly, it might be that I misread your statements, or it might just be differences in cultural idioms. That's why I *don't* "judge others on a few words" - I'll look at a wider context before thinking ill of anyone. And it's also why it's useful to learn a little about such idioms - now you will not use "assertion, right?" in an international newsgroup to avoid giving the wrong impression, and I'll know what is really meant if I read it from another poster.

  • Re: Easy Question about USB Hardware Design
    ... across to us Brits as rather agressive - it's a culture thing and I'm ... idiom sounds like the poster is confident that he is correct, ... I guess I don't watch that sort of American TV (I watch a few American ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Katrinas Cause Determined
    ... the local american[based on his extreme right wing view of what an american is]. ... But there is another part, and its kind of dark, and its about the loss of identity through loss of language, loss of values, and how things adapt and change or get run over as they collide and get absorbed into yankee culture. ... family on those shores more than 150 years ago were not English speakers. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: Katrinas Cause Determined
    ... > the local american[based on his extreme right wing view of what ... culture, but there is a steep price of admission. ... family on those shores more than 150 years ago were not English speakers. ... language expressed things so differently. ...
    (soc.culture.filipino)
  • Re: language.culture.english
    ... >> own culture to themselves. ... It's an American ... Does that give them the right to take over a "uk" English newsgroup, ... David - grough atcost btinternet fullstop com ...
    (uk.culture.language.english)
  • Re: Do you see what I see?
    ... Let's examine your debate "tactics" as if this would even qualify as a ... profess to be an American and uphold freedom of speech, ... (I am referring to English, Confused, not French. ... as if this some sort of debate that needs tactics. ...
    (alt.fan.starwars)