Off-the-shelf temperature controller modules

I'm looking for a small embedded controller module which can interface
directly to a thermocouple (K-type, I think) and provide about 16 lines
of digital I/O to drive control switches and LED displays. We're
currently using DIN-cased PID controllers but they're overkill for this
project (pricewise as well as capability and complexity) and designing a
dedicated control unit may be to our advantage, if we can keep it simple
enough to be cheap.

We figure PIC, 8051 or similar will be smart enough to do the job. Can
anyone recommend something off-the-shelf that would suit us?
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
.