Linux serial port dropping bytes

Hi all,

I'm using an Arcom Viper PXA255 single board computer running Linux, and I'm trying to receive bytes over the built-in RS-422 serial port at 921.6 kbps. The received packets are 1500 bytes long. The UART is a 16C2850 (dual port version of the 16C850 with 128 byte FIFO).

Everything works fine at low speeds, but if the packet rate increases, I start to lose bytes.

I believe this is caused by the Linux serial port interrupt handler not responding fast enough. Some testing revealed that this problem only occurs when other peripherals (such as the flash drive or ethernet port) are active.

I searched online and found a utility called IRQtune which promises to fix exactly this sort of problem by allowing control of ISR priorities in Linux. Unfortunately, IRQtune only works for x86 processors.

Does anybody know of a simple way to modify the priorities of interrupts in Linux? I don't mind recompiling the kernel, but I don't have a lot of expertise in that sort of thing. (In fact, I would have preferred skipping the whole OS thing and implementing the entire solution on an FPGA/uController, but oh well... one doesn't always get to choose.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Derek

--
remove the .nospam and rearrange appropriately to e-mail.

  • Re: Linux "print server"
    ... porting Ghostscrip to a C64 is ... so a Linux server seemed possible. ... "> I already have TCP/IP communication using ppp between the C64 and the ... "> DTP app I use can send data to a serial port, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why to up/not grade to/from W98 (was: new Pulsonix version 3 PCB software released)
    ... whos primary function was to read ... and reading BOT/EOT markers and the raw MFM. ... On serial better is to use a micro (cheap 2 $ PIC has serial port). ... Linux, why sell yourself out to Bill Gates? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Flow Control on Serial Device
    ... Are you using the exact same cable for the Linux system that you ... indeed a straight through cable? ... Then CTS and RTS are ... properly configure your serial port, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: minicom questions, need expert
    ... I do not know if the minicom utility can reach out into that FT232RL to ... then what linux utility can perform this initialization? ... It turned out that the serial port params on the legacy machine ... Do I need to train my src machine to send some sort of an eof signal? ...
    (Fedora)
  • FTDI usb-serial possible bug
    ... It describes a nasty behavior of the ftdi usb-serial linux driver. ... in bash and in python. ... The same test performed on a real serial port receiving continuous ... does not yield to any corruption problem. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)