Re: Linux serial port dropping bytes

On 2008-03-31, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Derek Young wrote:

I'm using an Arcom Viper PXA255 single board computer running Linux,
and I'm trying to receive bytes over the built-in RS-422 serial port
at 921.6 kbps. The received packets are 1500 bytes long. The UART
is a 16C2850 (dual port version of the 16C850 with 128 byte FIFO).

Everything works fine at low speeds, but if the packet rate
increases, I start to lose bytes.

Your numbers indicate that you would need an interrupt roughly
every 1 microsec. Not a chance.

If he sets the FIFO threshold to 64, then the interrupt
frequency is 921600.0/10/64 == 1440Hz.

If he sets it FIFO threshold to 96, then the interrupt
frequency is 921600.0/10/96 == 960Hz. 960Hz should be no
problem at all unless some of the other ISRs are running too

Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. the MYSTERIANS are
at in here with my CORDUROY SOAP DISH!!