Re: Advice on uC selection wanted - driving microsteppers etc

"Tim Wescott" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:59:43 +0000, Peter Dickerson wrote:

"Tim Wescott" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:43:39 +0000, Peter Dickerson wrote:

[snip]

I'm about to design some Luminary Micro parts into a product that I'm
making, but Luminary Micro has a number of strikes against it (they're
new, they're small, they may not last long) that don't matter for what
I'm doing but may matter a great deal to you. These are also ARM parts
with (what appears to be, at least) a rich selection of peripheral
functions.

This bring up a point that I hadn't addressed. The product life is very
long by today's standards. We're still making stuff with source code
copyright dated 1994. That stuff had to be ported to new hardware ~2000
due to difficulty getting parts and was considered a distressing
outcome. In the case of this project I suspect that once it has been
proven to work and there is income then there will be pressure to cost
reduce by changes to mechanics and eletronics. But doing my job properly
I'd like to feel happy that parts will be available >5 yrs from now.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Look for a manufacturer who has a track record of not obsoleting parts
for a long long time, and try to find new parts from an established line,
or parts that have been around for just a few years and still seem to be
on the manufacturer's 'A' list.

I _think_ that TI is good about taking its sweet time to obsolete parts
-- it wouldn't be a bad thing to ask here and on sci.electronics.design
about which manufacturers are good about this.

I've actually been around a long time. Ok, some here whould call me a
newcomer because I started electronics for a living in 1979. I am asking for
advice on uC selection and product lifetime and supplier history are
certainly part of the mix. We use TI on the analog side via Burr-Brown but
haven' bought micros from them in some time.

Thanks for the help,
Peter

  • Re: which bike should i get?
    ... buying off the interweb and actually use a local bike shop. ... so a frame size from one manufacturer is unlikely ... it doesn't matter) have roughly the same equipment levels etc. ... all I wanna do is race .. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: FDA about to make water for dehydration illegal practice of medicine
    ... treat or cure disease, anyway. ... It's mostly a matter of semantics. ... not unless a manufacturer or seller is GREEDY enough to claim they ...
    (misc.health.alternative)
  • No more "fixed" CompactFlash being made?
    ... The supplier we get our CF's from has warned us that in a matter of months, ... He can provide us with another device from a different manufacturer after ... The only alternative would be to switch from CF to solid state disks (at a ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Pickup flipped 180 degrees
    ... trained 100 monkeys to jump on the keyboard and write: ... I could be wrong, but depending on the manufacturer, I wouldn't expect ... it to matter which end of the coil is under which strings. ...
    (rec.music.makers.builders)
  • Re: Advice on uC selection wanted - driving microsteppers etc
    ... but Luminary Micro has a number of strikes against it (they're ... I'm doing but may matter a great deal to you. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)