Re: PMOS in parallel with NMOS

Jim Granville schrieb:

Excessive current destroys it merely because of the excessive heat
that the current flow produces. It's that simple.

WRONG.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Google surge and resistor, and you might learn something.
Failure modes are anything but simple.

A little story about that:

I've fixed my guitar amp a year ago. There was a huge chasis mount 10W 10K resistor running at a constant voltage of roughly 370V.

My first thought was just a big WTF? Why would someone puts such a overrated resistor into a commercial product. The resistor was expensive and I bet the labour work for mouting the resistor and hand-soldering the cables wasn't cheap either.

It turned out that this very resistor burned out. More than 10 times overrated but still it turned into a piece of ash. I traced it back to some arcing at the tube-sockets. That - together with the inductivity of the power-transformer - caused spikes that burned away the resistive wire inside the heatsink.

I know that this is a completely different world for those who deal with 3.3 or 5V supplies. Arcing is more common in these devices than you may think. It happeds often if you cut-off the power supply or do other nasty things. Overall it tought me a lesson:

Your job is not done if you put voltage, resistance and current into the equation and find out that you don't exceed the power-rating in the *usual* case. You have to take the corner-cases into account as well.

In my tube-amp I measured thousands of voltages comming out from the transformers in the switch-off moments. I did some math and research (inductance is crazy!), found out that this had to be expected in the case and then understood why the original designer used a 10W resistor at that place.

Crazy stuff, these tubes. So simple and elegant on the one side, but so difficult to make a reliable product on the other.

Nils

Btw, comment to the OT: Every minute you torture an innocent tranny, microcontroller output-pin or LED god kills a kitten :-)

  • Re: P2B-DS and generic slotkets
    ... The slockets are labeled "Cpu Card ... processors are requesting 2.0 volts instead of 1.65 volts. ... If R3 is a 56 ohm resistor, ... With regard to the voltage being requested, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Tee networks in TIA feedback loops
    ... resistor noise dominates the amplifier noise, ... accept the higher offset voltage. ... You hang an emitter follower off the JFET source, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: LED lights in coach
    ... voltage rating. ... RV's batteries, but when on shore power, it is not uncommon, (and ... It seems that the module is the LED and a current limiting resistor. ... Figure out where you can put the test fixture for a couple of days. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Einsteins Doppler equation wrong?
    ... the voltage is zero, i.e dE/dt is at its greatest, and ceases when the ... short circuit. ... :>: consisted of a connector with a small resistor tying the core ... :>: Without the terminator, the thinnet cable spits back echoes into ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)
  • Re: P2B-DS and generic slotkets
    ... processors are requesting 2.0 volts instead of 1.65 volts. ... If R3 is a 56 ohm resistor, ... With regard to the voltage being requested, ... you sure the slocket doesn't have a way to modify the VID ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)