Re: (Slightly OT) Get a cake made to look like a product?

On Jun 13, 12:49 pm, Grant Edwards <gra...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

product - printed with the actual box artwork on five sides. It's a
simple rectangular box. But I can't seem to find anyone who will make

IIRC, there is a way to print an image onto a piece of "paper"
that is then layed onto the cake.  The "paper" then dissoves
into the frosting somehow.  I don't know if you need a special
printer/inks to do that or if it's something you can do at

It depends very much on whether you want to eat it, or just watch
other people eat it :)

There are basically two "print to cake" technologies. The one you've
described uses basically an inkjet printer with edible FDA-approved
food coloring [your average $30 printer does NOT use such dyes, btw]
to print onto something that is basically rice paper; drop it on moist
frosting and the paper essentially vanishes, leaving the ink "printed"
onto the frosting.

The other technology is a larger, industrial technology which prints
directly onto a fully-assembled cake (but again it's basically a big
inkjet printer - the difference being no intermediate soluble print
substrate).

My problem with both of these is that the vendors are set up to print
a single picture on top of a cake; they're not set up to make sure
that the scale of the picture (if, say, a side piece) is preserved, to
match up with a separate print job (top piece)

Mr. Klosowski in this thread gave a suggestion that I think is little
short of brilliant, for solving the scale problem. However I'm working
on the culinary school angle right now. Looks smart.

  • ATK Chocolate Cake
    ... Old-Fashioned Chocolate Layer Cake ... the frosting until the cakes are cooled, and use the frosting as soon as ... wrap the mixer bowl with a towel soaked in hot water and mix on low speed ...
    (rec.food.recipes)
  • Re: Hummingbird Cake (An adventure in stolen recipes)
    ... Then the flawed recipe was ... Hummingbird Cake ... Place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 8 ... and then cool completely before frosting. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Hummingbird Cake (An adventure in stolen recipes)
    ... Then the flawed recipe was ... Butter or spray two 9 x 2 inch round cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper. ... After about 10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting. ... Beat in the vanilla extract and then stir in the finely chopped pecans. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: cupcake horror
    ... out the bakery dept. Prices were higher than I'd expected, ... The enormous frosting toppings ... is more than twice the amount of cake. ... I can imagine getting a sugar high just being in the same room ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Oh my...
    ... Some chocolate cake would be good right about now. ... lardy commercial frosting. ... The PF cake will probably taste cloyingly, sickeningly sweet, and we ...
    (rec.roller-coaster)