How workable is Vista?

I have been looking to buy a new computer for a bit and I had just
about decided on a Windows XP based system from Dell. Today I called
them and found that not only are they not going to sell XP machines
after tomorrow, but the orders are flooding in! It seems pretty crazy
to me that if XP is still that popular, they would stop selling it.
Is this something mandated by MicroSoft?

So the question is, is Vista ready for prime time? I have heard
nothing but bad about it and I know that a lot of software vendors
have yet to support it... at least the last time I looked. Are the
rumors true of Vista being a PITA or just plain incompatible? Is it
time to switch to Linux?

What experiences have people had with Vista?

Rick

  • Vista Ultimate Edition - "Tuner Not Found"
    ... Center for Windows Vista as I am finding this "Tuner Not Found" ... Dell oem AverMedia M779 Hybrid tuner card. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • What Does It Take to Get a PC With XP?
    ... I won't waste time rehashing the argument over whether Windows Vista ... that virtually every copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate Edition ... machines doesn't mean that its employees understand that policy. ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • APPLE-SA-2012-05-15-1 QuickTime 7.7.2
    ... Windows 7, Vista, XP SP2 or later ... Viewing a maliciously crafted movie file may lead to an ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Laptop Question
    ... I know very little about Windows based hardware. ... personally never had a problem with Dell. ... asked about upgrading to VISTA.) ... tell you they can't install XP, VISTA is all they install now, insist on ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: Desparately seeking help to get XP
    ... Dell suggested I buy a retail Windows XP and install it myself. ... Home or Pro. ... choose operating system Windows XP) keep the Vista for later days. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)