Re: developing Application software for a host to communicate with a USB device

Tom�s � h�ilidhe wrote:
This all depends on what kind of USB device you're using. There are
many
possibilities:

1. Mass storage device
2. Standard HID device (mouse, keyboard, joystick)
3. Custom HID device
4. Audio device
5. Virtual serial port
6. Custom device type
7. Many other types like printers, scanners, cameras, etc.

Is there any cross-platform library for USB communication?

In general, USB devices are intended to be accessed
using the same operating system features as non-usb
devices of the same type.

For example:

- Mass storage devices are accessed just like any
other "disk drive" using file i/o.

- Serial port devices are intended to be used just
like any COM or /dev/tty type device.

- HID devices are used by the system to support
mouse, keyboard and similar types of human input
devices.

The need to access lower level USB explicit functions
is usually reserved for those writing device drivers
for custom devices.

Linux has support for user-space access to certain
parts of the USB sub-system (libusb).

However, most USB class/interface/device drivers
execute within the operating system kernel.

--
Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

"So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
and we never even know we have the key."
"Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

Mine is a Custom type device
Then i think i need to look into the device driver documentation.

Thanks all for your valuable advice
Faiyaz

  • Re: developing Application software for a host to communicate with a USB device
    ... Standard HID device ... Custom device type ... Is there any cross-platform library for USB communication? ... Serial port devices are intended to be used just ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • One hardware, many functions
    ... I'm developing an USB hardware with two different functions, a custom device and a serial port. ... I want to create a driver that shows two devices (so I can use my hardware with my own applications to control custom device, and standard Serial port program for serial port device). ...
  • Help on USB serial, TUSB3410 and custom devices
    ... I have a custom device which communicates via USB. ... I know there is already a USB-to-serial driver in ... the kernel for this chip which would do all I need but is it possible ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)