Re: How workable is Vista?

Joerg wrote:

So far I have never had a DOS app that would refuse to run on the XP
machine. Some won't do a DOS windows and the whole PC switches to
low-res DOS fulls screen. You can hear the relay clicks in the monitor.

If you ever do run into a a DOS app that won't run on XP, or
you want to run the app in a window instead of full screen,
or you want to run your DOS apps on OS X, Linux, BSD, PalmOS,
PlayStation Portable, OS/2, BeOS or Risc OS, just run DOSBox:

[ http://www.dosbox.com/ ]
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox ]
[ http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox ]
[ http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox ]

--
Guy Macon
<http://www.guymacon.com/>

  • Re: ntvdm.exe crash on headless system (DOS apps)
    ... Do you have component "Dos Windows on Windows Support"? ... Have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Embedded newsgroups? ... but this results in a ntvdm.exe crash (Virtual DOS Machine). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: DOS game crashes XP
    ... The more productive thing might be to email the MS security folks ... more dangerous issues than the DoS this DOS app examples.. ... access requests by DOS programs. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: XP Home and DOS Program
    ... It's a really kludgy old DOS ... Here's the message I'm getting on the XP Home Toshiba: ... >> What is the DOS app, and what does it require to run? ... >> ratherbquilting wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: bioskey()
    ... I'm rewriting an old DOS app to working with Red Hat Linux 7.3. ... old app uses two header files, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Running DOS App in XP
    ... A DOS application that uses direct hardware access in the program code will ... not function in an NT environment, as that sort of control is not allowed. ... >I am having an issue running a certain DOS app in XP. ... Ran in compatibility mode for Windows 95. ...