Re: How workable is Vista?

CBFalconer <cbfalconer@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Guy Macon wrote:
Boudewijn Dijkstra wrote:

If you need more expensive and power-hungry hardware to be able
to perform mostly the same tasks, then I cannot possibly consider
it an "upgrade". And if you really need eye-candy to prevent you
from becoming depressed, then there are IMHO better ways to spend
your money.

So you are saying it's *not* a good plan to replace a two dollar
deck of playing cards with a multi-thousand dollar PC running
Solitaire? What a concept! :)

Are you trying to destroy the economy? The PC requires men working
extensive hours preparing the solitaire software. In turn, they
require other PCs, and much compilation and linking software, which
provide employment to system programmers, who also require PCs.
Then there is the whole replacement market, handling such things as
memory, disk drives, etc. The whole system is feeding people all
over the world. Not to mention the MicroSnerdians.

By contrast, the deck of cards requires little more than a man with
an axe in the woods.

And as someone else remarked, you can replace word processor
Mark I, Mod 0 (wood pencil and paper) with a more expensive
word processor. Once you get the more expensive computer you
can then hammer all your work to fit a word process and/or
Web browser when all you need is a simple text editor.

Microsoft has even extended their reach for wasting resources
to the Internet by making it difficult to do email in a simple
text form. You now get email with embedded HTML so that the
messages are at least 4 times larger than necessary. There
goes the Internet bandwidth...

  • Re: How workable is Vista?
    ... Mod 0 (wood pencil and paper) with a more expensive ... word processor. ... Once you get the more expensive computer you ... goes the Internet bandwidth... ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Questionable Content: psychoanalyzing the robots
    ... I asked this once before but: Momo *is* a computer. ... can connect to the Internet. ... using a Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement (or cloned ... A slip of the word processor? ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Re: Silversurfers
    ... > I was a tutor for Age Concern for a year before moving on. ... They should be teaching Wordpad, notepad, and posibly the free ... OpenOffice.org word processor. ... > - and how to use the internet, with emphasis on how to buy on the ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • change configuration to family pc
    ... This is a word processor, that accesses the internet for maybe 5 minutes, ... and will have antivirus and all the ms-updates ...