Re: (New York) Trade ARM9 EVBs for ARM7

On Aug 28, 3:28 am, "MK" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

question (STR912FW44X6) is at best casually documented and requires a
full day of frustration just to get an LED blinking. So much for

I can understand that you might not like the board (I hardly ever use eval
boards)

It's usually the fastest way to bring up a new design. At my day job I
need to wait months for arguments and paperwork before a board can be
brought into existence; at home, I don't want to spend the money on a
PCB until I've proved out some of the concept on a breadboard.

TI has exactly the right idea - they make little EVBs with a ZIF
socket and 100 mil headers all round. I'm using one of those to bring
up an MSP430F2370 design right now and it is just a delight.

you go it's not too bad at all. I thought the chip user manual and support
library documentation was quite good.

Eh. The documentation did improve between the FW and FAW parts, but
I'm working with an FW chip. The documentation is unbelievably poor. I
challenge you to get even as far as toggling a GPIO based solely on
the information in the chip datasheet.

Having said all that I've given up on the STR9 in favour of the STM32 (ARM
Cortex parts) - similar performance and cheaper. I can't help but feel that
the STR9 family won't be developed much further.

I agree with that analysis. I'm not a big ST fan, to be honest, but I
would like to use the STM32 here too. Unfortunately the EVB (again!)
is the little STM32 circle device, which has an onboard Raisonance
debugger and no real JTAG port. Since I use CrossWorks, which doesn't
support the Raisonance JTAG adapter, I'm annoyed :/

Yes of course I could buy an Olimex header board but I was really
hoping to work with something I have on hand, so I can get a useful
chunk of work done this weekend. I think I'm going to have to hack the
STM32 board so I can use it with a normal JTAG debugger.

Still doesn't give me all the I/Os but it gives me enough to start
working on my project, at least. And it has an accelerometer onboard,
which saves me from hand-wiring to my own.
.