Speaker-independent speech recognition?

I've got a very specific speech recognition application in mind, and
I'm looking for a reference that will indicate if it's feasible. I
want to recognize just one magic word, which is a very well-solved
problem with high accuracy if we were talking about a boom mike and a
silent environment. The difficulty is that there may be lots of other
noises in the background, other people saying things, etc.

The application is something like a telematics device where you get
its attention by saying "Computer...", except that the word in
question can be assumed to be a unique word nobody would ever use for
any other purpose. However the specifics of this application are
something along the lines of:

- If the computer doesn't recognize that you want its attention, a
ninja will beat you to death with a frozen muskrat, and
- If the computer hears your dog barking and thinks it was you trying
to get its attention, you'll be charged $1,000 for the CPU time.

Is there an article someone can reference for me that will give some
feel for the best I can expect from today's technology? Ideally, some
information on the upper practical % limit to catching validly spoken
words, and the lower practical limit to the number of false positives
I'll see on other noises.

I see a lot of information about % recognition accuracy on the vendor
websites, but they refer mostly to noise-free environments and of
course to large dictionaries.

  • Re: Speaker-independent speech recognition?
    ... I'm looking for a reference that will indicate if it's feasible. ... noises in the background, other people saying things, etc. ... If the computer doesn't recognize that you want its attention, ... and the lower practical limit to the number of false positives ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Sakari, are you being a knob again?
    ... pursuit of what are essentially childish antics and attention whoring.. ... actual content of the subject matter and thus resort to incredibly inane ... Sakari makes a reference that, for all you know, ... Are we supposed to care that Sakari may have referenced you as ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: fundamental web services question
    ... Well, in that case, i recommend you to give attention about Asynchronous ... reference of the webservice, create a component out of that web reference ... a .net web services. ... Is it using com component or using vbscript? ...
  • Re: Upstairs--Third Person narration
    ... call less attention to the identity of the person. ... is a locution that calls attention to the fact that one isn't ... I don't have to think about who it is, then the reference is less ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)