Re: VISTA

"rickman" <gnuarm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:9876eba3-c1c0-40ca-b409-55345a9f62c0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

... My point
is that there is little about the release of Vista that is different
from the release of XP. XP went through all the same reluctant
acceptance by the commercial community. That is their nature. If it
ain't broke, don't fix it. There are a lot of costs associated with
adopting a new OS into a corporate environment. Heck, I remember when
Win98 came out and the IT guys recommended that everyone stick with
Win95! Win95 was the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen!!! Moving
to Win98 is the single best upgrade I've ever seen other than the
switch from the 95 lineage to the NT lineage.

Well said!

I remember when the critics were telling us to hate XP and that it would
break all our applications. (Even though there is virtually nothing that
runs under 2000 and won't run under XP.) Before that, I remember when they
were telling us to hate Windows 95 because it would break all our DOS
applications. To hate VM/CMS because it would break our OS/360
applications. And so on.

To a certain mindset, computers were perfect 5 years ago and we don't need
no steenkin' progress!

One thing nobody has said enough about is that the embedded systems industry
is burdened by development tools that *insist* on not following best
practices that have been standard since the 1980s, such as distinguishing
user from system file space, not making arbitrary assumptions about disk
drive letters, etc.

See for example:
http://www.embedded.com/columns/embeddedpulse/175802877?printable=true
(And responding to one of the comments on that page, I *did* contact the
tool vendor and they just said I should be happy with the clumsy
workarounds!)

  • Re: future of codegear / delphi why not just c# dot net
    ... Everybody is working on vector graphics interfaces. ... of their flagship applications to Windows, so within a while you will be able to use Kate, Konqueror, etc. onder Windows. ... It is nice the the development tools group builds all kinds of nice development tools based ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: OOP - a question about database access
    ... I thought it meant any method for rapid ... > of the return to data managed in applications). ... That's one view of the database. ... > Because all the application development tools I know have a primitive ...
    (comp.object)
  • Development tools for VMS
    ... information on the subject of VMS development tools and ... applications. ... all three types of user interfaces: character cell terminal, GUI ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Development tools for VMS
    ... > Any information on the subject of VMS development tools ... > character cell terminal, GUI screen, or internet browser, as it will ... > creating new applications, ... > can deploy to all three user interfaces that I mentioned (character ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Change VB form Color [Multiposted]
    ... Funny thing is forms colored other than system settings looks so bad in VB. ... I *hate* applications that you can tell are written in VB and make a form ...
    (microsoft.public.vb.controls)