Re: Guarantee Critical Regions in Portable code. Portable Semaphores?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 16:22:50 -0500, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

George Neuner wrote:

... snip ...

Microsoft has/had patents on the FAT implementations too and those
covered the 8.3 naming scheme. I'm not positive, but I think I
remember seeing that they have let the FAT12 and FAT16 patents lapse.

There is no such thing as 'letting patents lapse'. They are
issued, and are valid for the patent time (set by law) or until a
court declares that patent invalid. As I said before, I suspect
any MS patents on the LFN systems have or are about to expire.

Technically you're right - patents don't lapse, they expire. However,
companies routinely make small "improvements" and file a new patent,
effectively extending the life of the original patent if they are
successful. AFIAK, Microsoft has not done this.

fwiw: my father and sister are both patent attorneys. I did the
paralegal thing for a few years and discovered I don't like the nuts
and bolts practice of law ... or I'd likely be one too. I should have
written more precisely.

George

  • Re: Guarantee Critical Regions in Portable code. Portable Semaphores?
    ... Microsoft has/had patents on the FAT implementations too and those ... covered the 8.3 naming scheme. ... remember seeing that they have let the FAT12 and FAT16 patents lapse. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Blizzard sued for patent infringement (LONG POST)
    ... Patents run for a fixed period of years then expire. ... of the movie "It's A Wonderful Life" shown hundreds of times in December ... Ted Turner never owned the rights to it. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: Licensing
    ... > Most of the patents are long expired and are now public domain. ... sound effect feature" and will expire in 2014. ... > what Gene and Wayne have become less and less valuable. ... authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: Licensing
    ... > Most of the patents are long expired and are now public domain. ... sound effect feature" and will expire in 2014. ... > what Gene and Wayne have become less and less valuable. ... authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright ...
    (rec.games.pinball)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: [SLE] Novell-Microsoft: What They Arent Telling You
    ... Patents expire within a long but reasonabletime; ... Mickey Mouse appeared in 1923. ... Americans to make copyrights for writers, painters, musicians, etc., ...
    (SuSE)