Re: Guarantee Critical Regions in Portable code. Portable Semaphores?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 16:22:50 -0500, CBFalconer <cbfalconer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

George Neuner wrote:

... snip ...

Microsoft has/had patents on the FAT implementations too and those
covered the 8.3 naming scheme. I'm not positive, but I think I
remember seeing that they have let the FAT12 and FAT16 patents lapse.

There is no such thing as 'letting patents lapse'. They are
issued, and are valid for the patent time (set by law) or until a
court declares that patent invalid. As I said before, I suspect
any MS patents on the LFN systems have or are about to expire.

Technically you're right - patents don't lapse, they expire. However,
companies routinely make small "improvements" and file a new patent,
effectively extending the life of the original patent if they are
successful. AFIAK, Microsoft has not done this.

fwiw: my father and sister are both patent attorneys. I did the
paralegal thing for a few years and discovered I don't like the nuts
and bolts practice of law ... or I'd likely be one too. I should have
written more precisely.

George
.