Re: arm7 core with fast monolithic 12-bit ADC

rickman <gnuarm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. I guess you started out asking for
practical advice and this turned into a discussion of theory. The
best answer I can give is the ADI ARM7 microverter parts. They have
the best ADC/DAC in an ARM MCU that I am aware of. I think someone
else already mentioned these parts. They are only so-so in the MCU
department, at least in terms of speed. But speed is not always what
a design is about.

I get the impression that they took a pretty good ADC (+ good DACs),
and managed to get a mediocre ARM onto the same die.

Whereas the other manufacturers have higher performance ARMs, with
better peripherals - except for their mediocre ADCs.

You can see an older comparison chart of some ARM7 devices at
http://gnuarm.com/, go to Resources and scroll down to "ARM device
comparison chart". It is getting rather long in the tooth now,
especially with all the CM3 chips coming out. I would love to see ADI
come out with a CM3 microverter clocking at 80 MHz from Flash and
their 12 bit converters.

Rick

--

John Devereux

  • Re: arm7 core with fast monolithic 12-bit ADC
    ... best answer I can give is the ADI ARM7 microverter parts. ... and managed to get a mediocre ARM onto the same die. ... SPI interface is limited to ~3MHz clock rate, ... quad SPI DAC and saw about a 2x improvement in throughput. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: arm7 core with fast monolithic 12-bit ADC
    ... best answer I can give is the ADI ARM7 microverter parts. ... I get the impression that they took a pretty good ADC (+ good DACs), ... and managed to get a mediocre ARM onto the same die. ... SPI interface is limited to ~3MHz clock rate, ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)