Re: Looking for 2-wire to 100mil header cable

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 13:21:57 -0400, Mel <mwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

DJ Delorie wrote:

larwe <zwsdotcom@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Well, I'm a bit nervous about buying a $200 crimp tool+die, since the

Items from Jameco.com...

100812 CONNECTOR,.1",1RW,2PIN HSG 10 .23
2.30
157383 CONNECTOR,.1",1RW,3PIN HSG 1 .27
.27
100766 @CONNECTOR,PIN,FEM,POST TIN 30 .15
4.62
159266 TOOL,CRIMPER,D-SUB PIN&SOCKET 1 10.95
10.95

I've got one that looks very much like this, and I've used it to make some
sub-D pin connections. The catch is that what you don't pay the
manufacturer for detail and precision you put in yourself in care and
attention; e.g. making sure that everything is lined up before you make the
final crunch. Sometimes it seems like it takes 3 hands.

For very low volume and occasional use, the price is right and it does work.

I'd be interested in a ratchet tool with more detailed dies for $60 or $70.

Pro'sKit/Eclipse have some reasonable crimpers for reasonable prices.
The $40-$70 range includes a nice ratchet frame with an interchangeable
die. You don't get (or pay for) the nice to have extras like wire
holders and stops, so there is still a need to eyeball how far in one
has shoved the insulation.

For the D-subs, there's also the YAC4 tool from Philmore-Datak that's
similar to the Eclipse 300-009 (might take the same die?) except that
the YAC4 has a tension adjust and the 300-009's "Solar" frame does not.
(Their "Lunar" frames do have the adjuster.)

http://www.philmore-datak.com/
http://www.starkelectronic.com/eclcrimp.htm

For some reason I like to browse at Stark for hand tools -- must be that
their old school HTML layout looks more sincere. ;-)

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

  • Re: I dont get it
    ... daß sie durch Fragen belästigt wird, ... denn sie sind ihr durch die Natur der Vernunft ... arise from the nature of Reason itself; ... begins with principles, which, in the course of experience, have proved ...
    (sci.lang.translation)
  • Re: Avian influenza Know how
    ... one reason is that having a single chromosomal ... engineered disease designed to reduce the world black population. ... I dont care realy about it, thats politics, dealing with the possibility that some govt or faction or religion will possibley modify it is enough fo rm, eventualy it will come out who and why ... ... Why do some teenagers take extreme risks in driving and die and ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Crown design poll, we need YOUR opinion.
    ... I do that a lot on this forum for some reason. ... I am glad it got you to reveal the frame though. ... guarantee you that by the time you run a second weld over a previous ... metalworking industry that a material is "aircraft grade", ...
    (rec.sport.unicycling)
  • Re: I dont get it
    ... daß sie durch Fragen belästigt wird, ... denn sie sind ihr durch die Natur der Vernunft ... arise from the nature of Reason itself; ... begins with principles, which, in the course of experience, have proved ...
    (sci.lang.translation)
  • Re: Lightspeed exceeded
    ... The choice of Galilean transforms between inertial reference ... >>>frame does not do that for the laws of electrodynamics. ... And to some extent, THAT DOESN'T MATTER. ... but I see no reason to hail him as a genius if he 'got lucky'. ...
    (sci.physics.relativity)