Re: Experience with Star Quad cable for CAN bus

On Oct 6, 1:57 pm, Stef <stef...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Does anyone here have experience with Star Quad cable for CAN bus
communications (or any data communication)? We ordered the assembly of
some cables for a CAN network in a noisy machine environment and requested
2x2 shielded twisted pair cable, one pair for H/L and the other will be
used for ground, shield connected to the connector shells.

Today our supplier asked if he could use a different kind of cable. This is
a cable especially made for CAN ("CAN" printed on the purple insulation, 120
ohm impedance), but it's not 2 twisted pairs but a single quad. I have no
experience with this kind of cable and a web search turns up mostly audio
for "star quad".

If I search cable manufacturer websites, they always come up with 1/2x2
shielded cable for CAN bus.

Our bus will be aprox. 40m, 500kbit/s and the environment is noisy.

Star Quad cable has higher capacitance than the standard twisted-pair
cable, so one might expect reduced signal rise times and maximum cable
length. I don't know if CAN has any specs regarding cable capacitance.

-a

  • Re: Cable Shielding Misunderstandings
    ... difficult to make direct contact with the metal in the shield. ... The foil has an atrocious conductivity for any significant length. ... Both copper and aluminium foil-covered cables are available, ... What's important here is the *result* of bending the cable at a progressively decreasing radius. ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: USB shield at device.
    ... The shield helps do that. ... balanced connection. ... That discussion was about XLR. ... XLR cables are usually grounded only at one end. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Need a PSpice model for Belden-like 50 ohm Twinax
    ... conductors can be any size. ... For example most 100 ohm differential cables are approx. ... ohm to shield and only 300 ohm between the pair. ... shield capacitor, and shield resistance. ...
    (sci.electronics.cad)
  • Re: Cable Shielding Misunderstandings
    ... difficult to make direct contact with the metal in the shield. ... Actually, the drain wire is not specifically needed for termination, ... The foil has an atrocious conductivity for any significant length. ... Both copper and aluminium foil-covered cables are available, ...
    (rec.radio.amateur.antenna)
  • Re: USB shield at device.
    ... creating different ground potentials and hence large currents ... The shield helps do that. ... measure the mains neutral/ground connector ... go you break the shield in BNC cables? ...
    (sci.electronics.design)