Re: How to get the approximate MIPS required

I forgot to say, the application spent most of its time in processing the data, and virtually no time spent on UI or others. Thus I conclude the MIPS required to run at PC might be close to the MIPS required to run at ARM.

Thanks.

Johnson

Johnson wrote:
I have developed an application with Visual Studio Team System for windows, and I have also gotten the CPU profiling of the application. Now I need to port it into ARM for embedded system, and the system engineer wants to know how many MIPS my application will require approximately? Is there anyway to obtain the approximate MIPS?

One of my friend recommend me the following website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_instructions_per_second#Million_instructions_per_second

Since my desktop has Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 chip, which is equivalent to 27,079 MIPS at 2.93 GHz. The "Application Exclusive Time" of my application is about 10ms, and my friend said the approximate MIPS will be 10ms/1000ms * 27079 MIPS, which is about 300MIPS. So I should choose ARM chip that supports greater than 300MIPS. Do you think his calculation make sense?

Thank you!

Johnson

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---

  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... on the famous MIPS architecture. ... Paul, I was wondering, too, because I like the ARM micro and I ... that leaves the PIC32 out entirely! ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... No it is not a reason to change, in fact, I find it to be fairly ... architecture is not a good one so that newbies would be much better ... It is a MIPS micro. ... But still for me the ARM was the better architecture - I had a project ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... is why they limite the varieties of CPUs they support. ... the market where the highest interest is. ... all the same stuff and have a larger market with the ARM processors. ... MIPS for a reason. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: MIPS vs ARM architectures
    ... architecture and how to prototype and tinker with these things. ... On the other hand, MIPS has ... I'm guessing ARM would look good in a benchmark with arrays and data ... The Core vendors will pitch that a) the core is everything and b) Theirs ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Forth on the Maximite
    ... on the famous MIPS architecture. ... Paul, I was wondering, too, because I like the ARM micro and I ... Now I did my second research looking for GCC toolchain and Gforth. ...
    (comp.lang.forth)