Re: How to get the approximate MIPS required

I forgot to say, the application spent most of its time in processing the data, and virtually no time spent on UI or others. Thus I conclude the MIPS required to run at PC might be close to the MIPS required to run at ARM.

Thanks.

Johnson

Johnson wrote:
I have developed an application with Visual Studio Team System for windows, and I have also gotten the CPU profiling of the application. Now I need to port it into ARM for embedded system, and the system engineer wants to know how many MIPS my application will require approximately? Is there anyway to obtain the approximate MIPS?

One of my friend recommend me the following website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_instructions_per_second#Million_instructions_per_second

Since my desktop has Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 chip, which is equivalent to 27,079 MIPS at 2.93 GHz. The "Application Exclusive Time" of my application is about 10ms, and my friend said the approximate MIPS will be 10ms/1000ms * 27079 MIPS, which is about 300MIPS. So I should choose ARM chip that supports greater than 300MIPS. Do you think his calculation make sense?

Thank you!

Johnson

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---