Re: Efficient methods

On 2010-01-26, Paul E. Bennett <Paul_E.Bennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:

The most efficient way to send data
is a 747 cargo plane full of DVD ROMS.

There was a story about a data file being sent by memory stick
(encrypted) attached to the leg of a carrier pigeon. The
entire file made it to the receivers end by this means before
30% of the same data file had been transmitted over the
internet connections. I gather that the file was some
4Gbytes.

It was done in South Africa as a stunt to publicize the slow
ADSL service provided by Telkom:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8248056.stm

The pigeon transported 4GB of data 60 miles between two
datacenters in 1 hour 8 minutes. The transfer ADSL was 4%
complete 4% in the same amount of time.

Protocols requiring more interaction don't fare so well when
using a Pigeon as a physical layer:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-257064.html

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I threw up on my
at window!

  • Re: Efficient methods
    ... entire file made it to the receivers end by this means before ... 30% of the same data file had been transmitted over the ... The pigeon transported 4GB of data 60 miles between two ... Interestingly QoS RFC is also present for it ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Efficient methods
    ... attached to the leg of a carrier pigeon. ... entire file made it to the receivers end by this means before ... 30% of the same data file had been transmitted over the ... The pigeon transported 4GB of data 60 miles between two ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)