Re: Req: Microcontroller Recommendation

Veekster skrev:
Hello my most esteemed colleagues,

I'm designing a sensor interface circuit that has gain and filtering
options that need to be set by latching a parallel set of bits. I
want to control this remotely with a serial interface of some type (to
reduce conductor count). I'm thinking I need a simple microcontroller
with a serial interface (usart?) to do this easily.

Additionally, a microcontroller with a sleep mode that shuts down the
clocks would enhance low noise measurement performance, so that's a
requirement. Ideally it would wake up on serial interface activity.

Would you geniuses care to recommend a simple microcontroller (or an
alternate approach) that would do the job?

The simple tinyAVR and PIC controllers seem to have too many
peripherals and are overkill, but maybe that's no big deal. We're
only building ~1000 of these.

Most people I talk to about sensors tend to end up with an ATxmega16/32A4.
Mainly due to the 12 bit ADC with programmable gain.
Nice sleeps modes.
If you set the pin change interrupt on the UART RXD
you can wake up.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson