"Physical" memory bounds

Hi,

What manifest constants do folks use to define the limits
on physical memory (of a particular flavor -- e.g., RAM)?
For example, I do:

do_something(void *location, size_t size) {
ASSERT( (location >= FIRST_RAM) && (location <= LAST_RAM) );
ASSERT( size <= ((LAST_RAM - FIRST_RAM) + 1) )
ASSERT( location <= ((LAST_RAM + 1) - size) );

}

This gets tedious with discontiguous memory but I don't see
any way around it.

  • Re: 32-bit programs on Windows x64
    ... My system requires 4 GB to store its DFA pixel pattern ... THE AMOUNT OF RAM ON THE MACHINE IS COMPLETELY, TOTALLY UNRELATED TO THE AVAILABLE ADDRESS ... on thinking about physical memory as being an operational parameter in any of this? ... Note that the L2 cache is ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: The Linear Address Space
    ... controller to read the data into physical memory (RAM). ... > Am I on the right track with paging? ... used as an offset into that frame. ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Are patches eating up my memory?
    ... Patches may be eating up your hard drive space on C, but not your RAM. ... physical memory because it includes page filing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Excessive Paging
    ... an automatic update pushed it over the edge. ... How much RAM memory do you have? ... commit charge isn't even half of the physical memory. ... problems (long boot times, 5 minutes to log on, etc) so perhaps ...
  • Re: Added more RAM but not all is listed on My Computer > Properties
    ... the /3GB switch deals with Virtual ... doubt that it will be changed to allow for use of RAM above the 4GB ... Total Physical Memory 5,120.00 MB ... Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB ...