Re: OT?: Pricing psychology

On 10/12/2010 20:02, D Yuniskis wrote:
Hi,

I suspect most of us aren't involved in the
"business end" of our work...

But, I've been half-heartedly looking for
information about the "why" behind certain
pricing strategies (thinking in terms of end
user prices). E.g., the $99 vs. $100 type
issues.

I'm *sure* there is some researched basis
for all this (else why is it so common?).
I know there is a whole science to "mass
mailings", funeral parlor layouts, etc.
so assume there must be something that
applies to 'consumer pricing", in general.

I've stumbled on -- or been directed to -- a
few interesting books re: behavior (and how
odd/irrational it can be). But, I've yet to
find: "The Seller's Guide to Product Pricing".

Any pointers to noteworthy publications? I'd
prefer something with a bit more depth than
"Avoid whole dollars" -- yet less detail than
"A Dissertation on Human Evolution: From
Tadpole to Walking Upright"

Thanks!
--don

I was once told that retail outlets price to 99 rather than whole
currency units to force the sales people to ring the sale through the
till, to get the change, rather than just put the money in their pockets.

I didn't say I believe it, its just a reason relayed to me.

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for Microcontrollers. More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

  • Re: Delphi 8 upgrade disapointment
    ... > different pricing wasn't intended then why have separate listings? ... > I would write sales and ask! ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Some recent work
    ... In a way I appreciate those messages more than the sales, ... Fortunately I have reoccurring customers and referrals from them. ... actually up the price to what I am comfortable with. ... read your discomfort in your pricing. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: Insane pricing at shop.borland.com...
    ... >> I dont' have the information, but Borland surely does. ... >> are aware of the effect of their pricing on sales. ... support calls have been made. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Scoping Tiny Signals ~250uV
    ... pricing compete with mini circuits? ... stuff like manuals and pricing require filling out the form. ... I keep arguing that if we put our manuals on line it will generate ... more sales. ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Woll pan -- first impression
    ... I went to that site and it appeared to be a company site but I couldn't ... find any pricing or sales. ... I ran it through Nextag, a couple of kitchen stuff sites, Froogle and ...
    (rec.food.cooking)