Re: DE FACTO STANDARD 8051 C COMPILER AND PCB LAYOUT S.W.?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:34:52 -0600, the renowned justme
<jbleaux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey, Spehro,

Long time no see.

Thanks for the support.

Is Keil and Altium fairly assessed as the top of the line and, if so,
what versions?

Hi, Joe:-

I think there are "higher end" programs available (as well as lower),
but they are the highest that I've used in depth.

On the compiler side, IAR seems to be well regarded, particularly if
you need to work with multiple targets, but I've only played with demo
versions briefly.

I'm using a version of Keil that came with my 8051 emulator (a few
years old- I think it's pretty stable), and the latest version of
Altium (I think V10 due out in a couple of weeks, and I expect some
changes..). We switched from Orcad for most stuff about a year ago.
It's a bit buggy and quirky, but all such packages seem to be. The 3D
features (esp. the ability to work with Mechanical CAD packages) are
cute, if a bit clumsy to use at present.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@xxxxxxxxxxxx Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com