Re: Applications "buying" resources

Hi Hans-Bernhard,

On 12/30/2010 6:47 AM, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:
On 30.12.2010 09:53, D Yuniskis wrote:

First of all, note that a task can ignore ANY or ALL
of these "tactics"/requests (except, of course, the
last one :> )

That's exactly the problem. If they can, you have to assume they will.
Which renders the entire scheme moot.

By the same token, "voluntary multitasking" (each task
holding the CPU for as long as it wants before relinquishing
control to the next eligible task) "won't work". :>

Of course, it *does* work because the developer(s) "behave
responsibly".

This is fine in a closed-end, fixed functionality product. But,
if you open the product up to other applications, you run the
risk of those other applications misbehaving -- either intentionally
(to "look better" or to make their development effort easier)
or unintentionally (by not understanding the costs of each operation
they perform).

If you can develop a policy that lets tasks (applications)
express their relative resource needs "within a budget",
then you can have an external agency (the kernel) *enforce*
that sharing/cooperation.

  • Re: Unix runs faster, maybe (was: Re: Educating potential VMS users)
    ... Subject: Unix runs faster, maybe (was: Re: Educating ... potential VMS users) ... CPU, and hence CPU utilization *will* be low, even if the ... not simply involve install OS, add applications, test and move to prod. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Windows XP users increasing?
    ... Or you could buy an upgraded motherboard with a fast 80286 CPU. ... Windows XP is still used in many non-personal computer applications like ... All three were basically the same in terms of CPU speed and RAM and all three were/are "Multimedia" models, supposedly optimized for multimedia, something a computer guru suggested to me when I was buying the XP machine years ago. ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: sched_yield() makes OpenLDAP slow
    ... >> applications that know exactly what they're doing. ... > yield the processor. ... > transaction, in order to allow other operations to proceed to ... > CPU long enough to clean itself up, and then it must yield the CPU in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: "Unrefreshed" screen is making me cross-eyed :(
    ... pagination engine tells it it needs to. ... character by character. ... A CPU can't "stop" when it has nothing to do, ... Well-behaved applications (and Word is one of those, ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: CPU 100% Virtual Memory gone
    ... At that moment I was not even able to upload Task Manager. ... Application tab in Task Manager when explorer.exe is using 100% CPU ... Not all running applications are displayed on the Applications ... I would expect spyware to run as soon as ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)