Do you still use "RS232" or something else?

Hello All,

although most of our (industrial) clients still use to have computers
with a "real" serial port, I observe a small but increasing number
struggling with bad USB adapters and asking for other interfaces.

Therefore I'm reconsidering the best suited interface for device
configuration and diagnosis.

Do you still use EIA-232? Customers complaining?

What do you consider a suitable "successor"?

* USB. Can be even cheaper than EIA-232, and AFAIK a HID doesn't
require administrator rights for "installation". But we have to supply
software to the user (cost, distribution) and there remain some traces
on the host system.

* Ethernet, TCP/IP, HTTP, DHCP or Zeroconf? Every recent computer has
Ethernet and a web browser, so the user needs no additinal components
besides a patch cord. But if he wants to be connected to a(nother)
network, there might arise problems. And the cost of Ethernet
connectivity is higher than EIA-232 or USB.

More alternatives?

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Munich
despammed.com is broken, use Reply-To:

  • Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?
    ... although most of our clients still use to have computers ... struggling with bad USB adapters and asking for other interfaces. ... Low-power ethernet supporting IEEE 802.3az (optionally with IEEE ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Newbie - SBC dsl
    ... >I currently do not have any of the computers connected. ... XP to the Ethernet port and order one of their USB adaptors for the other. ... >>> Ethernet interface for direct connection, ...
    (comp.dcom.xdsl)
  • Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?
    ... although most of our clients still use to have computers ... struggling with bad USB adapters and asking for other interfaces. ... Ethernet and a web browser, so the user needs no additinal components ... I am going Ethernet - tcp/ip, VNC access to my stuff - this ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Networked printer (was Re: Rumors (MBP - June))
    ... Epson Artisan 837 printer has USB and WiFi connectivity, but no ethernet. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Problem setting up broadband from Tiscali
    ... are now the proud owners of two shiny new XP computers. ... Don't you find that the cost of those "Ethernet over mains Cable" ... the cost of a WiFi Router & (possibly, if needed a WiFi USB Dongle ... You don't need to use the USB connection at all, ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)