Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?

Oliver Betz schrieb:

I'm not sure that the recurring cost of 232 is significantly lower
than a small MCU implementing a USB stack. I have yet to add USB to a

For the MCU side, USB can be cheaper then EIA-232.

It depends - when talking about larger controllers (like ARMs, for
example), USB generally does not really add cost. But with a small MCS51
or AVR (cost 1 Euro), RS-232 is definitely cheaper, in any concern
(money, board space, power consumption, memory requirements, processing
power).

Tilmann

  • Re: Looking for an extremely cheap FPGA board (in quantity, academic use)
    ... The 3x cost multiplier was to include reflow of the boards. ... USB port to the MachXO2, you need at least a chip to convert the ... but you can't fit a full USB device ... For the requested number of>5k devices of course it gets even cheaper, ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Looking for an extremely cheap FPGA board (in quantity, academic use)
    ... And how do you program the FPGA? ... USB port to the MachXO2, you need at least a chip to convert the ... but you can't fit a full USB device ... For the requested number of>5k devices of course it gets even cheaper, ...
    (comp.arch.fpga)
  • Re: Backup media (was: What backup software do you use and why?)
    ... I have had boot problems with usb drives but a dedicated usb card ... I was at a new clients last week, they have a USB Tape drive, using ... Need to record daily during a month - tape is cheaper than USB ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: OK Windows fans, recommend me a computer
    ... cheaper), which eliminates the need for the 1x PCIe slot but, of course, ... adds a requirement for USB 3. ... the parts from a single vendor and it will save me more than $150 or get ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Questions For Dan Murphy
    ... >> The reason someone would go the USB route is price... ... > But it isn't cheaper than a cable to the serial port. ... > different driver. ... I just don't see a handy way to set the baud rate on my ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)