Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?

On 1/17/2011 8:57 AM, David Brown wrote:
On 17/01/2011 16:21, hamilton wrote:
On 1/17/2011 3:33 AM, David Brown wrote:
On 17/01/2011 09:33, Oliver Betz wrote:
David Brown wrote:

[...]

Ah, Hyperterminal bashing. I also did so years ago. But it's not
justified. There is a flaw in newly created sessions, and there is an
easy workaround (save .ht and re-open). Besides this, it is not so
bad.

Which terminal program do you suggest to be sent to customers?

Any pealr I didn't list on
http://wiki.oliverbetz.de/owiki.php/TerminalPrograms ?

You already have my favourite, Tera Term Pro, on your list. But you

Might be your favourite, but not what I consider a lightweigt solution
for the occasional user. Does it still install special fonts?

I don't know about the special fonts (never noticed if it needs them or
not), but I agree that it is not the most lightweight solution - I
dislike the extra couple of programs it installs by default. However,
once it is in place, it is simple and fast to use, and has plenty of
features for when you need them.

I just checked my TeratermPro install directory.

Total size is about 5MB.

Current versions are about 10 MB.

I saw my install directory was at 13MB, unitl I looked and saw the install file was in there at 5.3MB.

What do you consider lightweight ?

It's not so much the size of the program that makes it "lightweight".
It's the number of extra bits and pieces, and the number of changes it
makes around your system. I don't know off-hand how much TTP writes to
the registry, but by default it installs a couple of extra programs such
as "collector". It's that sort of thing that means TTP is no longer
"lightweight", as it used to be. I am not saying it is bloated, and I
find it very useful - but it is just not as lightweight as it could be.

I will check again, but I thought TTP did not use registry entries !?!

Were talking Windoze here, nothing in WXP in that small.

What I would like to see is a term program that displays hex values.

RealTerm is one such program that I have used, though there are probably
many more. Generally if I need to view serial communication in hex, I
need to do more than just view it - perhaps interpret the data,
calculate CRCs, etc. So I often use Python and pyserial and write some
suitable capture scripts if I need something more than I can get from TTP.

I have not used Python, maybe its time I join the 21st century ;-)

Thanks

hamilton

  • Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?
    ... Does it still install special fonts? ... but I agree that it is not the most lightweight solution - I ... But it's not important if it is 5 MB or 10 MB - it is still much larger than a simple terminal emulator. ... It's that sort of thing that means TTP is no longer ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Do you still use "RS232" or something else?
    ... I don't know off-hand how much TTP writes to the registry, but by default it installs a couple of extra programs such as "collector". ... It's that sort of thing that means TTP is no longer "lightweight", ... Generally if I need to view serial communication in hex, I need to do more than just view it - perhaps interpret the data, calculate CRCs, etc. So I often use Python and pyserial and write some suitable capture scripts if I need something more than I can get from TTP. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: ASus eeepc 2G
    ... and is lightweight enough that's all I ... For a lightweight Ubuntu derivative, as opposed to Ubuntu with a ... more years ago, but Bodhi is nice and fast, and it comes on one install ... SparkyLinux is based on Debian Testing, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Problems interfacing PIC UART to PC Serial Port
    ... It doens't even have an install procedure. ... Interesting that TTP doesn't use an installer. ... can claim to be a "terminal emulator" at all if it can't handle any ... >and open the connection again. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Debian newbie -Please help!! X server problem!
    ... Hi Hex! ... mini CD install through network. ... single" and see if your keyboard works at the login prompt. ... forgoing the mouse in console, ...
    (Debian-User)