Re: Getting time from a GPRS modem

In comp.arch.embedded,
Didi <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 15, 10:22 am, Stef <stef...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think RFC868 is the shortest RFC I've seen so far, only 2 pages.
It looks nice and simple, but there seem to be some inconsistencies:

* Time in Seconds from 1900-01-01 (like NTP)
* 32 bit binary number (signed or unsigned?)
* Will serve till 2036 (ah, must be unsigned then)
* But the there is this example:
  -1,297,728,000 corresponds to 00:00 17 Nov 1858 GMT.
  So it is a signed 32 bit afterall?
  But that would limit the range from 1832 - 1968 :-(

Hah, hadn't noticed that. The servers I have talked to worked
unsigned, so does the DPS server I wrote (does ntp and rfc868).
I vaguely remember servers which were advertised as ntp only did
after all serve rfc868 as well, but it is being abandoned IIRC.
Has been in that state for >30 years I guess :D .
Well, just tried it on a server which I think used to work a few
years back - only NTP today.

Yes, I think they meant unsigned but got carried away in the examples
section. RFC868 is from 1983 and is superseded by NTP. Just posted
the above comment on faqs.org, it's an RFC afterall. :-)

Also found this NIST page: http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm
Says time.nist.gov has dropped support for RFC868, but other NIST
servers wil still respond to RFC868 requests.

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
-- Don Marquis

  • Re: Setting Up NTP Subnet
    ... > I have questions regarding best practices on architecture of NTP ... > it sufficient to use multiple GPS receivers with ACTS dial ... The lower the stratum the bigger the ... servers and that the servers at this level should peer. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Proposed NTP solution for a network
    ... Locations A and B have a large community of Suse 10.x Enterprise servers, each with very stringent requirements to have time be very closely "in sync" with each other at that site, as well as at the other site. ... Each of A, B, and C have a dedicated NTP appliance, with integrated GPS receiver and antenna on the roof. ... there is no provision on the enclosure to accept a PPS or other time source for distribution to the individual blades using a backplane mechanisim. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Setting Up NTP Subnet
    ... > I have questions regarding best practices on architecture of NTP ... > it sufficient to use multiple GPS receivers with ACTS dial backup ... me that we should create a stratum 2 tier peer layer a stratum 3 tier ... servers and that the servers at this level should peer. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Proposed NTP solution for a network
    ... Locations A and B have a large community of Suse 10.x Enterprise servers, each with very stringent requirements to have time be very closely "in sync" with each other at that site, as well as at the other site. ... Each of A, B, and C have a dedicated NTP appliance, with integrated GPS receiver and antenna on the roof. ... This would enable the appliance to lose the reference source and still be useful to the Stratum 2 servers that are clients of these appliances. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: handling falseticker
    ... This would lead to a "lost sync" or a "sync to ... recognized by the clients and this NTP path will be ignored. ... Both Stratum 1 will keep being sync with the respective Stratum 0 because ... This means that my Stratum 2 Servers have only 2 servers. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)